SCABA Band of the Year 2006

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Friary Admin, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

So if there is no Folkestone this year, who wins SCABA Band of the year because I think Friary were in with a good chance after winning Hove, Crawley and a number of the quartet / ensemble contest prizes...

Come on Friary!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Check out www.FriaryGuildfordBand.co.uk by the way...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hove
    SCABA Band
    Folkestone
    Crawley
    Friary
  3. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

That award doesn't take the entertainement or ensembles contests into account so I suppose one could argue it's in the bag!
    Although totally meaningless under the circumstances, it would look good in your ever increasing trophy cabinet over at Friary! ;)

4. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

It would be a shame not to award it to someone, even if the contests on which it was judged were changed for this year, or even (I dare say) for all future years. It seems kindof bizare to me that it does not take into consideration all SCABA contests, recording of the year etc etc etc.

Also what is happening about recording of the year?

5. starperformer

starperformer Member

why not set up a "guildford band of the year award", avoiding the need to pester anyone else in the quest for meaningless accolades?

6. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Of the 'SCABA MEMBER BANDS' listed on their website- you could argue that actually STAINES deserve to win the award this year- by virtue of getting to the RAH in their first year of promotion to the Ch. section, getting promotion from Senior Trophy to Senior Cup at Blackpool Spring Festival.... amongst many other things im sure. Why does it have to be based on two (or one!!!!) contest (that a lot of bands don't choose to enter as its so close to the areas!.....)

And don't dismiss THUNDERSLEY BRASS either!

Are bands (other than FG ;-) really bothered about this 'award'????

One things for sure, we won't be getting it! :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Because being the only band in Guildford that would be very embarrassing if they didn't win it! :rolleyes: :tongue:

Seriously, the SCABA band of the year award is a highly coveted award amongst SCABA bands. It would be a shame for it not to be awarded....

Sandhurst have won it in the past, but I don't think we are in the running for it this year! ;)

8. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

It may be meaningless to you, but this is the first time in a long time Friary have been in with a shout of winning it. I would have loved to have gone to Folkestone (as Friary do most years) to compete for Folkestone but SCABA Band of the Year et al, but we can't - why not use this as an opportunity to change what SCABA Band of the Year means (ie accross all SCABA contests)?

I understand your comments, but It is also not meaningless to us because:

A) It is an award from our local association, which we do our very best to support.
    B) It is a good advert for whoever the winning band might be.
    C) Friary made a concious effort to show people that after our parting with our resident conductor we are still one of the most stable and strong bands in the area.

9. Texus

Texus Member

Exactly......Scaba band of the year? Don't mean to sound high and mighty but there may well be other Southern Bands that have achieved a great deal in the last 12 months!

10. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

I'm not saying automatically award it to Friary, I'm saying it would be a shame if the award wasn't awarded this year and I think Friary would be in with a good chance. Having said that I think Staines have done really well also - I like your point of view on this as well.

11. Texus

Texus Member

I don't want to be slightly biased here - Staines have done extremely well and rightly deserved their place at the finals. What about the Area champions, Grand Shield Winners and BBC Broadcasters? Oh, and a CD as well??

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hove
    SCABA Band
    Folkestone
    Crawley
    Friary
  13. starperformer

starperformer Member

this may well be a spooky coincidence, but all the bands that beat you at the areas are better candidates for "band of the year" - its almost as though the results from that contest are an indicator of achievement?

14. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

So who do we think the candidates (from all sections) should be?

15. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Lets not get confused- its not L & SC band of the year, its SCABA band of the year. Not every band in the area is automatically a SCABA band, you have to pay money to be one of those. To my knowledge A & N, Redbridge, Kidlington, etc are not SCABA bands at the moment.

16. Texus

Texus Member

I think that we are, but will speedily shout at my fellow committee members if this has lapsed.
    It is fantastic that Southern Bands are starting to do so well across the board. Hopefully this can only get better.

17. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

If you are one of the 3 bands mentioned earlier then unless you have renewed since 13th march when the list was last updated, you are not currently members.

18. starperformer

starperformer Member

SCABA membership consists of all the L&SC bands that ever want to enter the tinpot contests they run, and simply imposes an extra level of paperwork on top of normal registration and entry fees, despite in practice having much laxer rules.

it is nothing more and nothing less than this, and yet you make it sound like its some sort of exclusive club.

19. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Harsh, Starperformer, very harsh.

SCABA organise some of the best contests I have ever had the pleasure of going to. They are extremely well-run and it is a testament to this that they regularly get bands coming from the continent to take part. They are also usually oversubscribed. To describe them as tinpot contests, you either have never been to one, or are just stirring the pot again. I wonder which? :rolleyes:

20. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

Out of interest, how exactly is it worked out across all sections?

21. starperformer

starperformer Member

bit of both!
    when you say well-run, i take it you mean that they usually remember to book the hall?

22. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

To the best of my knowledge, this has never happened before to SCABA. And it might be due to an admin cock-up at the hall end, rather than the SCABA end. It wouldn't be the first time a band contest has been turned out of a venue due to something with the hall going the way of the pear. Remember the Basildon contest anyone? :rolleyes: