Say no prize money no new contest at pontins prestatyn!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Terrible Tuba, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Terrible Tuba

Terrible Tuba Member

4BR have just reported New Event

The Leisure Group Britannia Hotels is believed to be looking into the possibility of running a new event at the former Pontins Holiday Resort in Prestatyn, which is currently out of commission and being extensively refurbished.

Pontins contest over the years has had a love hate relationship with players, but I think that it is fair to say that the general standard of the accommodation was appalling and any improvement at Prestatyn camp would be welcome. I think that a lot of players miss the Pontins contest and would welcome a new contest.

We must not get carried away with this announcement and remember all the money spent at and paid over to enter and compete at the last Pontins contest. I refuse to believe that Pontins management did not know when they took the extremely hard worked for money, from the bands and there supporters that they were in financial difficulties and had no intention to pay out any prize money. Personally I think it is obscene that they propose to stage another contest at Pontins, whilst they still owe all the prize winning bands from the last contest money.

I urge all bands looking at this announcement to stage another contest, to boycott it until 4BR can announce that all the bands that are owed money from the last Pontins contest be paid out.

Leisure Group Britannia Hotels are not stupid they see a good money earner. I say that if, this company are that serious in taking any more of our money, then they should invest in the competing bands and honor the last contest and pay the bands that are owed prize money

Come on guy's it is time to support the Brass Band movement and stand together.

What do you think guys/gals? Do you agree with me?
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think you will get the support of most bands that didn't get their prize money (Dronfield was one of them) but why would the other bands that werent in the prize money (or lack of it) feel the need to support this?

From the new owners point of view they are not liable for the debts of the previous company and will have paid money over to the receiver to take over the site. They certainly wouldn't want to set a precedent of being seen to pay some of these debts.

However the manner and timing of the administration of Pontins, 7 days after the contest, still leaves a very nasty taste - having listened to one of their directors spouting on at the results of every section about the increase in prize money especially grates - does anyone believe he wasnt aware of the imminent adminstration?

Perhaps Britannia Hotels and whoever is the instigator of this idea should consider the potential opportunity to rectify this before they consider a new contest - perhaps an offer to waive fees, or provide discounted rates for staying could be considered for previous prize winning bands. The best result would be for them to consider paying the prize money as a loss leader to kick-start the new contest but perhaps we should give them the chance to come up with this without the threat of "strike" action before they have had the chance to come up with something first.

Didnt the BFBB state in 2010 that they were trying to get the money back for the bands?
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Just scanning back of previous comments on 4barsrest

This with the initial announcement -

"2011 contest

4BR understands that prize money cheques for the 2010 event, although postdated 14 days from the weekend of the 23rd/24th October, have all been honoured. No announcement over the 2011 contest has been made"

and later a comment from BFBB

"The BFBB told 4BR: "We understand that some of the winning bands from the Pontins Festival have not received their prize money for the event. BFBB would like to help bands if possible and we encourage them to send details of their claims by email to: for the attention of Carole Salter."
    They added: "It is disappointing that Pontins have gone into administration. Not only do we look like losing one of our major contests, but of course, many of the winning bands will be disappointed not to have received their prize money."
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I don't think the idea will get anywhere anyway. A few years ago Butlin's took the Pontin's concept and modernised it to the point where it made Pontin's look not just like the poor relative, but the family relation who no-one even mentions because he lives in a hole in the ground drinking Thunderbird and shouting at passing aircraft. I don't think too many bandsmen miss staying in 'those' chalets or the delights of Prestayn which somehow manages to make Skegness in January inviting by comparison.

Its a shame that the bands who won prizes last time out didn't get the money they were promised. I presume you are all on Pontin's list of creditors? (Albeit a long way down and probably not likely to get anything anyway). But let's not forget that Pontin's owe(d) money to people whose livelihood depended on their payment. The hardship of not getting 'paid' for the effort of successfully preparing a piece of music doesn't compare to not being able to afford to put food on your family's table.

It ain't going to happen. Not unless Britannia have an idea to fundamentally change the concept.
  6. Pav

Pav Member

Another no I'm afraid.

It was a while ago but, from memory, the bank pulled Pontins' credit facilities. It wasn't that Pontins just traded itself into the ground.

It will be interesting to see if there is any demand from bands for a new contest there.
  7. backrow

backrow New Member

If the place has been refurbished properly and the format is good then it may be a goer. Rememeber that up to the last 5 years Pontins was always packed out, huge queues for the bar, Stompers playing to a very full audience (in more ways than one). It was only when it got to old and tired that attendance fell off perhaps a revitaliswed contest is what we need lets at least be thankful that someone, somewhere thinks it's worthwhile to put money into brass band contentesting.
  8. James Yelland

My point entirely. I just couldn't be bothered to expend energy typing all the words out. At the risk of sounding like a cracked gramophone record - the world does not owe brass bands a living.
  9. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

Just in case anyone is under any illusion that the bands were paid - As secretary of Uppermill Band I can confirm that we did not receive our money.
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

'Sees the opportunity to make money out of brass band contesting and fill an otherwise empty holiday camp' would be more accurate - but if it's a good contest then fair enough. You get nothing for nothing.

As for getting bands to stand shoulder to shoulder over anything, good luck with that. I applaud your sentiment - if not necessarily all of your argument - but banding as a whole is far too 'i'm alright jack' in nature for your proposed boycott to be effective. I'll grant you that the last Pontins contest was a pretty poor showing as regards the way the bands were treated, but most - though obviously disappointed - have been philosphical about it and that seems the best course of action to me. Get over it, move on.
  11. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Just as long as they get rid of the metal cargo container where you sat and froze after signing the sheet just before going on!

- Mr Wilx
  12. James Yelland

...just like all those other wicked contest promoters. Why stop at boycotting Pontin's? Let's boycott ALL the contests run by evil external promoters exploiting This Great Movement Of Ours. That'll teach 'em! Up the bandsmen!!

Oh, just a minute.....
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Just elaborating my previous point for a minute: yes the prize money is owed to the bands that won it fair and square. In an ideal world they would of course get it, but as we all know this isn't an ideal world.

One thing has struck me since - bands will very often quite happily enter contests knowing full well that they will never recoup the costs involved in getting there in the first place even if they win, yet when something like this happens bandsmen will still be moaning about the supposed loss some years after the event. Funny that....
  14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Biggest laugh of the week, thankyou!
  16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Ah - that was kinda my point as well.....
  17. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I personally don't see new Pontins taking off. Running a contest where its sections 1-4 only and anand with its short break its had off the contest calender, it will look to me be a devalued contest compared to Butlins.
  18. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

We.... sorry you, I'm not banding at the moment.....:p need one at center parcs :) that'd be cool :)

I often thought that myself..After attending the 30 th pontins celebration contest and getting my badge I wondered why they still could not get it right,it didn t take Butlins long to sort it out !
  20. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

They really would have to up the standard of accomodation, especially as a few of the bands have now seen what can be offered, such as at Butlins.

However, they never miss a trick to make extra money......lots of people (NW especially) will not stay due to the facilities offerd, but by making it a 2 day contest they are forcing people to spend the night there
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012