Saving Private Ryan music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bandrh, Jul 27, 2007.

1. bandrh

bandrh Member

Can anyone tell me where to get the Film music for saving private Ryan for Brass band if it's availble

2. dyl

dyl Active Member have three arrangements for sale, by Klass van der Woude, Sandy Smith and Philip Sparke. The title you're looking for, I believe, is 'Hymn To The Fallen'.
  3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

4. bandrh

bandrh Member

thanks for the info.
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The Phil Sparke arrangement/transcription has a set of wordless choir parts available too.
  6. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Blimey who wants to play that rubbish! yet another Yank war film that tries to persuade us they won it all by themselves and the Brits just held their coats for them while they did all the fighting.

Get the William Walton film score to "Battle of Britain" thats what I call proper ****** war music!
  7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

..erm.... Walton's score for The Battle of Britain was discarded and they only used one sequence - The Battle in the Air. Do you mean The First of the Few ? (Spitfire Prelude and Fugue etc)

Think what you like about Saving Private Ryan, but Hymn to the Fallen is beautiful, isn't it? Especially in my arrangement!!

8. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

I totally agree Mr Sparke!
  9. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

I'm sure this was this piece i heard Dodworth play at Weatherby on Sunday. It is a lovely piece, I have to agree.
    And just for the record, it was well played by Dodworth, who put on a very enjoyable concert. :clap:

yes you are right Tinkerbell, it was HYMN TO THE FALLEN from the private ryan film,thanks for the nice comments on our concert,I will pass them on to the lads and lasses tonight.
  11. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

welcome back!!!
  12. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Anglo Music Press...."erm" to you as well squire. So lets examine your reply.

What exactly are you on about? You start by saying Waltons score was "discarded" whats that got to do with the price of cheese? He DID write a score and it IS used in the film, so perhaps thats why I mentioned it, who knows, its a funny old world eh?
  13. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

One stand-alone work is hardly a film's a piece of music used in a film. The fact that the score that Walton wrote was discarded is entirely relevant because it means that it isn't "the film score to 'The Battle of Britain'".

And as for your earlier point, I can only agree with everyone else. Whether you like the storyline of the film or not (and I haven't even seen it so I really don't care), the 'Hymn to the Fallen' is a sumptuous piece of music and should be judged on its own merits.
  14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well done Shaggy, I'm amazed, you actually did manage to post something even more pointless than your previous posts. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Inspired. :clap:

It was a simple question, that was answered by people who were in a position to help (whether you liked the subject matter or not was completely irrelavant). But thanks for coming, you've been a right laugh. :tup
  15. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Yes, he did write a score, and it's not bad Walton (!) but it was mostly discarded because the film makers thought they couldn't get a sound track LP out of it (allegedly). 95% of the music used in the film is Ron Goodwin's - as you know!

I merely wanted to know which music you loved so much ! That's important to me.....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  16. zak

zak Member

Am having a deja vous moment with this unfolding debate/difference of opinions ;)
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Apparently one of the reasons that William Walton's "Battle in the Air" music was included in the final version is that his long-time friend Sir Lawrence Olivier threatened to have his name removed from the credits if Walton's music was not used. I believe that most, if not all, or Walton's original score has now been reconstructed (by Christopher Palmer?) and recorded.
  18. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

er'm, I'm as british as anyone but even I have to admit that the good old 'u s of a' made a considerable difference to the outcome WWII !

as for the music, I am a big fan of John Williams film scores and Hymn to the fallen is a lovely piece when played properly.
  19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think Shaggy is particularly keen on Grieg's The Hall of The Mountain King and The Hobbit, The Musical (especially Tom, Bert and Bill's song) ;) .
  20. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

We have the Obrasso/ Klaus Van der Woude arrangement of 'Hymn to the Fallen' and I can highly recommend it - really effective/ atmospheric, not too difficult to play with a bit of practice and attention to detail and it always goes down really well at concerts.