Save Ovington Tynedale Band

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by geordiecolin, May 21, 2003.

1. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

An ex North East 3rd section band (currently technically 4th section) is struggling to exist. Struggling badly.

They would appreciate anyone who can help them out. They only practice once a week (Sunday 6pm) in Gosforth. They have vacancies in all positions and still occasionally perform at concerts and jobs.

If you can offer them any help by guesting or just going along for a blow or even consider joining (i appreciate most people on here are already committed to a band though) they would greatly appreciate your help. Even if you could spread the word through schools etc it would be fantastic.
    They have a sound structure eg, conductor, music, money (not loads though), rehearsal room close to Newcastle city centre, percussion, instruments etc

It would be very sad if the last band affiliated to the Tyne Valley were to fold just 9 years short of its 150th anniversary, a band that has been involved with many players who have gone on to greater things (Some to Felling, Greggs, Easington, Broughtons amongst others). It would be a great shame for the band to fold. :( :( :( :( :(

Contact me via PM or email or contact my dad, John Harding Ovington Tynedale Secretary at
  2. jfenwick

jfenwick Member

I'm a percussionist(tuned and untuned) and play for Murton, would be interested in helping
  3. geordiecolin

Thanks for the support!!

(Check your PM)

Anyone else interested??!!
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I'll help out as and when I can if you ask me nicely
  5. geordiecolin

Pretty please with a cherry on the top??!!

Thanks for the support, i'll let my dad know.
  6. dave jake

dave jake Member

I ll help out if I can ? Let us know where in Gosforth they practise and I ll go for a blow, 8) 8)
  7. geordiecolin

Trying to think, erm... a church hall but i can't remember the address or any landmarks nearby. we only moved there recently and i haven't been since xmas because i'm in sheffield at uni.

I'm going home on monday though, so i'll be able to post further details then.

They practice at 6pm (i think again recently changed) on a sunday
  8. philtuba1

philtuba1 New Member

9. geordiecolin

Hi Phil.

Thanks for the support. Hows it going with the conducting/playing, i havent seen you for a while, i think the last time was in taxi qeue whilst drunk outside central station last summer!!
  10. philtuba1

philtuba1 New Member

11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

12. geordiecolin

It is with great sadness indeed that i have to announce that to all intents and purposes, Ovington Tynedale Band has finally folded. After 2 years of hard fought struggling to survive, the current conductor, perhaps understandably handed in his notice. It is not the intention of the committee to readvertise the post. A meeting of trustees is expected in the near future to decide the future of the band's assets.

Many thanks to all who have supported and played for Ovington over the years.

Ps, N.E Bands, i can see the vultures circling already, but to be fair there ain't much of a carcass to pick at!! Virtually all of Ovington's players (the few that there were) have already been snapped up and signed!!
  13. Sparky

Sparky Member

Yet another Northumberland Band bites the dust. We are a dying breed up here in the frozen North, something needs to be done!! Maybe one problem is that very often the vultures don't even wait for the carcase to die before stripping the flesh. It's a great shame that Ovington Tynedale Band have gone, is it final, because things can change with a lot of determination ( from very few people). Thirty Years ago my band, Ellington Colliery, were down to six players. The six decided to recruit a batch of local kids (me included) and start from scratch. We are still here and going from strength to strength. We still keep training kids now but they keep leaving to go to University, we have another going this year and one the year after (a few years ago it was the Army, we lost eight to the army).The message really is, if someone really wants the band to survive then don't give up and make it happen, we did.

PS If you want someone to blow with during summer vac, just let us know. You will be more than welcome to join our batch of returning students (we have four coming back).

If only people would go to local universities we would be better off!
  14. bigcol

bigcol Member

On thing I'd like to know is why do so many players in the North East travel outside of the area to play in bands (yorkshire, scotland and even further than that)?

I'm sure that has a bearing on it too.
  15. prudhoebass

prudhoebass New Member

How about a somewhat geriactric BBb puffing away during the summer?
    Note - I only blow the damn thing, it's other people who accuse me of music. 8) 8)
  16. MSB WEB

MSB WEB New Member

I am so sorry to help of the closure of this band. :(

If there are any players left who would be interested in joining friendly band in Northern Ireland then please contact me.

Also, if there are any instruments which could be sold off then please contact me as we are in need of many instruments. I will see what I can do.

Thanks and sorry again,