Save Manger Folk High School - please read

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hunting_high, Oct 3, 2004.

1. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Dear fellow tmp's,

I just would like you to help us at Manger Folk High School to try to save our school:

"Save Manger Folk High School"

hosted on the web by at:

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
    agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider
    signing yourself.

Thank you for your help,

Frode Rydland

I am one of the part time teachers there so maybe I shouldnt put this link forward. But this school has been (and still is) a very important institution for Norwegian Brassbands so I believe it deserves a mention.

Maybe the moderators could put this as an sticky for the next 8 days?
    (On the 12 of october the politicians will decide what to do.)

If you would like to know more about the school before you consider to sign the petition please check this link:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2004
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I have signed this one for you Frode... the loss of a good school isn't worth thinking about... Hope this one is saved... Fingers crossed for you :)

All the best
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Signed! Thread 'sticked' as per your request Frode.

All the best,

4. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Done - I just hope we can help.
  6. Caro

Caro New Member

i visited Manger with the European Youth Brass Band when we visited Bergen, and i have to say that to lose such a unique place would be such a waste of all the effort both staff and pupils put into the place. Good Luck!!
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Signed - all the best.

8. JR

JR Member

Thank you for your help,

I will sign it and show it to my brother Dave Roberts (Rothwell Temps conductor) who studied at Manger in 1983/4 under Tom Brevik and Mike Antrobus
    He also played for Rep/front row for Manger Musiklaag (with Torstein Aagaard-Nilsson) - I Know he will be very shocked if the school is closed

john roberts
  9. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I've signed too - from memory I think we visited the school when the National Youth Brass Band of Wales toured Norway in 1992.
  10. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Thanks everybody!

I am sure the petition will help the politicians to see the fact that the school is important for brassbanding.

So please keep'em coming. :)

To ronnie_the_lizard: Yes, the Welsh youth band visited the school that year after The norwegian youth band had a tour to wales in 89 (or was it 90?).

Did you play in the Welsh youth band when we visited Wales? I was principal cornet with the NYBB of Norway and I remember Gareth Small being the principal with the NYBBW. I also remember our joint concert in Llandraf Cathedral (not sure about the spelling...) as a great experience for us.

11. euphoria

euphoria Member

Hi Frode

I hope you manage to save this institution not only in norweigan banding but in danish banding as well.

My old band Silkeborg have supplied a lot of students over the past decade to Manger and in the youth band I conduct there is a couple of players who were talking about going to Manger next year - they will be very sad to see the school closed.

Good luck
  12. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Signed.Keep fighting.
  13. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

me too! EYBB03

I have signed!
  14. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

From my time in Norway I can vouch as to how important it is to save this school and as Frode rightly says, this has a huge impact on the future of brass banding in Norway.

Look at how innovative the Norwegian top bands are and how much of an impact the programming choices of the Norwegian bands have influenced the rest of the worlds brass bands.

The school has played a great part in the shaping of the Norwegian band movement.

Good luck Frode.

Best wishes

Alex Kerwin
  15. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Good Luck Frode. We're all behind you on this
  16. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Signed. Good luck
  17. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

signed! hope it all goes well! from the sounds of things there is no real reason to close it!
  18. Henricus

Henricus New Member

Good luck

Good luck from Williamsburg Virginia.
  19. JR

JR Member

Frode/Anyone in the know,
    What has happened? has the school been given a stay of execution?
    Can we have an update please?

john roberts
  20. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Thank you all for your support!!

Here is the latest news regarding Manger Folk High School:

The Hordaland County decided to cut the support from 190 000 £ in 2004 to
    100 000 £ in 2005 and the down to 50 000 £ in 2006. This is not very good news as that means that the school board need to find a new owner for the school before the schoolyear 2006/2007.

Hopefully they will be able to do that.

The Manger school are know working to employ a new Headmaster for the school and to get a new owner in will be one of the main focuses for this person.

At least they didnt shut the school down from autunm 2005 as first intended.

Again thank you for your support.

For more info about the school: