Sat Navs;Good/Bad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Feb 22, 2007.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

What do you think of the Sat Navs you can buy:
    Do you think they are a good thing to get you from A-B?
    Or do you still like to either use the Internet mapping /direction sites or look up directions yourself by using the map book.
    Im so glad ive got a Sat Nav as me and maps are are definate no go area and its a bit awkward trying to look/read at directions on a A4 sheet of paper while driving
  2. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I'd never go near a sat-nav.
    I get to near where I need to be, then stop to look at how I need to do the last little bit, then I'm there with no stress at all!
    I'm not a massive fan of being told what to do, especially by a computer!
  3. Bungle

Bungle Member

Very useful when driving on your own, especially when visiting the States after a long flight. I usually ask for the never-lost sytem when hiring a car from Hertz in the States. Once, the only car they could find me with it on was a Jag XJ12, so I had to make do with that. Always have a map as a back-up.

Presently the after market ones are over priced for what they are. I'll wait 'till they get to the more realistic sub £100 pound mark, or buy a second hand one.
  4. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

I have one and always find it useful, and as you say Ian, it saves all the messing with the printed maps/directions whilst driving. I've heard many stories of drivers being directed into canals etc., but after using mine for a few years, i've never had any problems.
  5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

"Turn left" - into wet featureless field
    "Turning passed, make U-turn" - on the motorway
    "Turn right and continue for 500 metres" - on to the pier which is only 200 metres long
    Stupid things. One of the few times I've ever been hopelessly lost was whilst following Jessop-Smythe who was listening to his SatNav.
  6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

If you've got a wife/husband/partner who can't read a map then they are worth their weight in gold.
    Went on several holidays and breaks last year and never had to shout at the missus once.
  7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I had this debate with someone a little while back. My friend said he preffered to read a map because they are less of a distraction, especially at night (having a bright display in your field of view) My argument was, if you've got a map in your lap, every time you want to refer to it, you either have to pull over, or you aren't paying full attention to the road, whereas with sat nav audibly telling you where to go (as annoying as it may be!) Your attention is on the road.

When my function band goes on a long distance gig, we generally take a van with all the gear and a couple of cars. The guy that drives the van has a very old, basic LCD display sat nav, and you can guarantee that the van gets there in the quickest time every time.
  8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I've got one and I still manage to get lost, but not as much as I used to so a definate improvement there!
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Got a Tom Tom 910 and it's the best gadget I've ever bought for the car. I've never had it misdirect me so I take all these scare stories about cliff edges and rivers with a large pinch of salt. Normally I leave the volume down and get near my destination then turn it up to get detailed directions. It's also useful because it tells you how far there is to your next turning so it actually helps you in making decisions as to whether it's worth overtaking or not. I've also found that it's estimated arrival times are pretty accurate and it shows you that a 10 or 20 mph increase in speed doesn't save you that much in the long run so you tend to drive more sensibly. Also have to admit that the fixed speed camera warnings are useful too.
  10. Jasper

Jasper Member

Agreed......very very useful.......mine gives me warnings about the 'mobile' ones too (you know those sites where plod decides to park up their tranny vans and point their cameras at you)

Dont bother with factory installed SatNav...extra £1000-£2000 on the price of your car. My whole kit - Wifi enabled IPAQ with TomTom s/w and GPS less than £300 and coming down now.
  11. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I looooove Sat Nav! When Nicola and I went to Dyke's xmas concert in Huddersfield, we used her dad's Sat Nav, as a) we have no sense of direction, b) we didn't want to be late and c) as we tend to get a bit carried away singing marches whenever we're in a moving vehicle!
    We'd just been told by a very well spoken lady to exit the motorway at the next junction, and had reached a roundabout...when the thing turns itself off! So we screamed and drove round the roundabout 6 or 7 times and ended up on an A road that was impossible to turn around on and found ourselves almost in Brighouse! After about 5 minutes of panicking and a bit more screaming for good measure (we have no minds of our own!:tongue: ) it automatically turned back on and had the cheek to tell us we'd gone the wrong way!! We had a good mind to go and watch Brighouse and Rastrick just to prove it wrong!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  12. hufferpuffer

hufferpuffer New Member

I used one to find a camp site in ST Davids it took me through the ford next to the cathedral and then up a un made steep boldered hill.

use them as a guide i find thats the best!!!
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I got a road angel navigator 6000 for christmas and I love just needs an external arial fitting cos it's a bit slow picking up a signal. It gets me where i want to go tho, and the speed camera and black spot alert is a god send. :tup
  14. flower girl

flower girl Member

yeah i got the same one, its really good the only problem i find is it cant pick up a signal in the house so whenever i want to programme it i have to sit outside in the car.
  15. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I used sat nav once to take me from Essex to Earls Court (West London).

Instead of driving along Embankment - VERY straightforward, as I later found out - it took me on a tour of most of the major sights of London!!! I ended up driving down the Mall at one point!!! As this was a saturday afternoon I spent most of what should have been a 1hr 45 min journey (but instead took nearly four hours!) sitting in traffic.... :mad:

since then I've relied on written instructions and whichever unfortunate soul was sitting next to me in the car....
  16. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Can't blame Sat Nav for that!! You should have travelled by train! Driving in central london is something to be avoided at all costs!! However, I'm sure you will reply with a valid reason... :)

I have a TomTom Go300 quite useful for finding places by post code. [Downloaded John Cleese voice over too]

Also, being able to pick shortest route or quickest route, calculating alternative routes due to traffic jams or when you take wrong turns is useful too.
  17. An essential tool for any bandsmen!!! Brought a tomtom one last November, never let me down and brilliant for long distance going to contests up and down the country etc... Can get a tad confusing sometimes but overall, a must have, can't read a map to save my life!
  18. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Me and Daddy made a trip to Huddersfield a few weeks ago to see the Trombone making genius that is Mick Rath.

Our StaNav took us through a valley, where the roads (well, dirt tracks) were so narrow that we had to fold the wing mirrors in to avoid them getting snapped off, was good fun though :tup

My dad travels alot, he says that his SatNav is very trustworthy, always gets him to where he wants to go, but sometimes takes him on very ..ah.. interesting routes.
    I heard one where the SatNav took someone down a public footpath next to a park, great eh?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  19. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Nah, I just blame it for taking me the scenic route rather than the straightforward way I learnt!

As for why I was driving into London.... thats between me and a certain Euphonium player! he he he!! ;)

(but it wasn't THAT much of a good excuse, I admit!!!)
  20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well ive had to use mine to take my girlfriend to stanstead airport today;
    Topjolly and also to get home as well.
    Keep your repiles coming in please