Santa Cruz

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by trumpishly, Oct 9, 2004.

1. trumpishly

trumpishly New Member

This Saturday my high school band is going to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Competition. There's going to be at least 50 other bands. We're playing Fairest of the Fair... has anyone ever heard of that?
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hello there - good to see you here on tMP. "Fairest of the Fair" is certainly one of Sousa's less familiar pieces, but they all have their good points and can be great to play. As to having heard it, I've got three recordings, including one by the original Sousa band, transferred from the old 78s.

Good luck with the competition, and we look forward to your future posts ;)
  3. trumpishly

trumpishly New Member

Yes, I dont' believe we'll do a good job though because people do not understand the word piano when they see it. They read it as Forte for some reason. *rolls eyes* And they're marching, it's horrible, I've seen rabbits hop about less than them!!! :( It makes me angry, we can be a great band, it people would do what they were asked and 1)memorize their music 2) march in step 3)march in sync 4)Learn how "ff" and "P" that's all our Director asks, and they pay no attention.
  4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

that's all!? I know bands who struggle when asked to do just one of these things!

best of luck
  5. trumpishly

trumpishly New Member

Thank you, we're going to need it. We're all great players, we just need to come together and form a band.
  6. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Let us know how you get on, good luck! ;)
  7. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Wow, a brass band in Santa Cruz!

Having lived in San Jose for a year and then worked for SCO (Santa Cruz Operation) I have visited Santa Cruz many, many times (I went a very nice shade of lobster red on my first visit:oops:)

I would have thought it a bit too hippy or surf dude style for brass bands.

All the best for the contest.

Cheers, Greg.