Samson

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rob, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Rob

Rob Member

Hi,

Is anyone aware of any existing recordings of 'Samson' by Horovitz?? Its a piece for baritone (singer), chorus and band. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Rob

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

All that I have found out so far is that it was premiered on the radio in 1977.

3. kensar

kensar Member

Played this with Rhodian Brass under Murray Slater in Bakewell Church. Cannot remember much about it though. It was a very major work. I think it was for a baritone soloist and choir and band.

4. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

I played the piece in 1998 with the Nordvestjysk Brass Band & The Thisted Drenge & Mandskor. It´s for bb - choire and baritone (voice) and brass band... A fantastic piece with a great sceeme and drama.

The choir and band worked hard preparing the piece and the National Danish Radio transmitted the piece (We also played Concertino Classico, also by Horovitz - a great cornet duet in a neo-baroque style).. It was conducted by the legendary danish brass band & choir conductor Preben Nørgaard Christensen..

During the rehersals for the concert we had the composer (Joseph Horovitz) as guest conductor. He was visiting Denmark for at composers summit in Hjørring and I drove with him by car the 120 km to the rehersal (and back again :) ).. I was young at the time, but my interest in brass band music was very high.. And I had about 2 million questions to Mr. Horovitz about his music ect.. He was very nice and interested in my question and answared them all. Or at least the 12.563 the drive allowed... Hehe..

I don´t have the recording myself, but I would try and get it for you..