Sam B. Wood signature Marches - How many ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Jul 23, 2008.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I know the late Sam B.Wood composed these signature marches :-

B&R - "West Riding"
    Imps - "Yorkshire Imperial" (On manuscript)
    Bradford Victoria ( Now Drighlington) - "The Young Tykes" (On manuscript)

I don't know if the last two were ever published and printed.

They are all excellent marches.

I just wondered if he had composed any more.

- Wilkie
    ( I bet Colin Hardy knows !!)
  2. hornguy1

hornguy1 Member

I believe he wrote Haddon for Knottingley band, also handwritten on Manuscript.
  3. ericthered

ericthered Member

I know the Imps march "Yorkshire Imperial" was never published and in my opinion it definitely should be.
  4. Nikki T

Nikki T Member

He is also wrote the City of Coventry March which was used as their signature tune for years.
  5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yes, it is an absolutely excellent march which would be a great addition to the general repertoire.
    It would make a fair Contest March.
    Did he ever write a Contest March ?

I'd no idea about Sams Knottingley or Coventry march connections, how interesting.

- Wilkie
  6. ericthered

ericthered Member

The Imps march has a tune which echoes the words of "We've swept these seas before boys and so we shall again". Very apt for a great band that is long overdue a period at the top of the banding tree again. Oh to break the boring monopoly of the usual top four.
  7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Me and the boys were discussing at Durham Miners Gala how much we need some new marches to keep things interesting.

Maybe we also need to rediscover some of the old ones that've got lost over the years.

If they're all as good as West Riding, then bring 'em on. I always liked the style of it. Shame Brighouse only usually play the first 30-odd bars.
  8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I recall now, that the song was the "Anthem" of the Hunslet Rugby League team who were based fairly close to the Yorkshire Imperial factory at Stourton in south Leeds.

- Wilkie
  9. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Personally I do like it, though I know others at Imps that don't rate it so much.

As for publication - personally I would rather see it used as it was intended - as a signature march for Imps in the same way 'West Riding' is for Briggus. Why let anyone else have a good piece.....?