Salvo Brass in Yorks - Sat 15/1 Trevor Groom, Garry Fountain are soloists

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by johnflugel, Jan 4, 2005.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Salvo Brass will be performing at the Castleford SA Hall in Booth Street, Castleford on the evening of Saturday 15th January.

For those who are not aware of them, Salvo Brass are a group formed from Current and 'Ex' SA Musicians from Derby, Kettering and Leicester. The group is directed by John Broadhurst and was a prize winner at the 2004 Whit Friday March Contests.

Repertoire is varied for this particular programme: 'The Crusaders' is a rarely played concert march by Sir Dean Goffin, the band will present this, along with another Goffin classic, 'Symphony of Thanksgiving'. Works by Kevin Norbury, Peter Graham etc are programmed as well.

Of particular interest to 'banders' will be that Trevor Groom, the acclaimed Euphonium Soloist who recently celebrated his 70th year, will be performing as a soloist. Garry Fountain, a Salvationist from Kettering who has attracted many plaudits for his performances on Soprano Cornet with Travelsphere and Black Dyke Bands recently, will perform the 'Queen of the Nights Aria' by Mozart. Another soloist is David Purkiss, a cornet student at the Birmingham Conservatoire who has recently performed with the ISB and is an ex member Pennine Brass and Fodens Band.

The programme suggests there will be something for everyone: the Castleford Songsters/Choir (who shared the stage with the YBS Band last year) will feature in two short spots in each half.

Tickets will be available on the door and from the top of my head are £4.00 FULL and £2.00 concessions - start time 7.00pm.....the evening is in aid of the Clarence Adoo Trust.

Castleford Hall is easily accessible from the M62 and is within 100 yards of both the train and bus stations.

Hope to see you there.....
  2. New Member

If I was in the area I would have been going as being an ex-salvationist I very much appreciate the music the Salvation Army.
  3. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Good evening had by all - Salvo are a band with some fine players who played under the sensitive direction of John Broadhurst - highlight for me was their opening piece, 'Swedish Hymn' by Peter Graham.

Castleford Songsters enhanced their growing reputation as one of the SA's finest choral groups with powerful reneditions of SA and other church choral music.

A sum of over £850 was raised for the Clarence Adoo Trust - Clarence explained how the money would be used to fund his ongoing treatment.

Forthcoming events organised by Castleford SA both taking place in June 05
    - Amsterdam Staff Band under the direction of Howard Evans
    - 3rd Annual Northern Highlights - Festival Brass (14 piece group of SA musicians), Dudley Bright (Principal Trombone-London Symphony Orchestra) and Jude Godetrich (Recording Vocalist, Musical Director Georgia Territory) and the Castleford Songsters.

More details as and when they come available.