Salvation Army March -The Canadian -Looking to listen

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Trumpet Major, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

Am looking for to listen to the march 'the canadian'. Its a salvation army march which I used to play many years ago.
    I am of course willing to purchase a cd with it on or if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

There used to be a recording of a live performance by the massed staff bands (going from memory here: ISB/Canadian/Chicago - maybe one other?) It was a double CD - can't recall the title - of a concert which took place somewhere in Canada, I think.

I've searched WoB, but can't find it, so I imagine it might be out of print, but you might still be able to find a copy somewhere ...

I'm sure Peter Bale or someone else equally knowledgeable will be along shortly with all the definitive information!
  3. Active Member

Yes indeed Gareth.
    This was the International Brass Spectacular held in Roy Thomson Hall, Canada in April 1994. Two conerts were held, such was the demand for tickets. New York Staff Band were the other staff band present.

I would guess that the double CD of highlights is long since out of print although I've seen the occasional copy change hands on Ebay from time to time.

Sadly, I'm not aware of a recording of The Canadian currently available to purchase on CD.
  4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

There is also a recording by the Canadian Staff Band called Made in Canada - recorded in 2000 under Brian Burditt. I'm not sure if it's still available but you might want to contact the CSB.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"The Canadian" was also on an Amsterdam Staff band recording, "Joyful" (1991).
  6. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'd forgotten the Coventry City recording: it's entitled "In Christ alone" and is still listed on the World of brass website:

The march is shown in the full track listing but not on the summary page. Not sure why it doesn't come up in the track search though :-?
  8. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

Incidentally, you can listen to the International Brass Band Spectacular in its entirety here.