Salvation Army banding

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by PeterBale, Apr 28, 2003.

?

Have you been involved with Salvation Army banding?

1. My teacher was a salvationist

20.0%
  2. I played in the Young People's Band

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I used to play in the Salvation Army

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am an active bandsman in the Salvation Army

80.0%
  5. Still in The SA, but not an active bandsman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having recently re-read a couple of books on the development of brass banding, I was struck once again by the number of brass players who started out on their playing career with the Salvation Army. I know there are one of two active Salvationists on the forum, but I thought it would be interesting to start a poll on this subject.

Also, much has changed in recent years regarding the relationship between "outside" bands and Army banding, particularly as you may now (officially!) partake in both areas. I would be interested to hear people's comments on this, as I am sure that the Army's attitude in the past must have caused some people considerable distress and heartache when choosing which direction to take.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Salvation Army
    development of brass banding
    relationship
    heartache
    outside
  3. Mr Smiler

Mr Smiler Member

I don't quite fit into any of these catagories - whilst still an active and uniformed Salvationist I am not playing with the band at the moment and I think there are a number which may fit into this group.

I conduct an 2nd Section band and as you may imagine, that takes up a fair amount of time and what with family and other commitments (I also teach in the Sunday School, wife goes to Songster practice etc, kids involved in YP sections) there aren't enough days in the week to fit in the Army band as well.

As you can imagine though, I very much welcome the opportunity to take part in both worlds and would even encourage those that have the opportunity to play outside the Army to do so. There is a danger of prejudging what "outside" bands are really like, but until you've played in one you won't know. It would certainly benefit an individual's musical education. What must be remembered though is that you cannot be half-committed to one or the other. This is where conflict may occur if, for example both bands are out at the same time.

I still very much belive in SA banding and what it stands for. The reality is, however, that the average size of an Army band is now 11. People need to be aware that although it may be the ISB's, Norwich's, Enfield's and Hendon's that give Army banding profile, the reality of the small, but faithful groups of bandsmen/women week-in-week-out is quite different.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hello, Iain.

Taking your comments on board I have added another category to the poll which should cover those in a similar situation to yourself. I agree that we all have to be wary of conflicting loyalties, and cannot always do everything we would like to, but at least we can be involved in both areas if commitments allow, either regularly or depping etc.

5. NeilW

NeilW Member

The gentleman who taught me was a member of the SA for many years, as was his father. Hopefully, I'll see him again in July (for the first time in 27 years!)

He took me to the SA to perform the 1st solo I played in public - and they were a sympathetic audience :)

6. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Still playing!!

I am an active Bandsman at Cardiff Canton ( 30 years last February... but still only 45). I have had great times and met great people such as Les Condon. I am also Songster Leader so really haven't enough time to play with an 'outside' band ( I hate that term) but do regret not having done so ( apart from NYBBW)

7. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I believe that a few newbies are S.A. bands persons so it may be worth resurrecting this poll/thread