Saliva Control, And do nerves not help

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Masterblaster jnr, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I've just competed in a music festival and played "The Piper O' Dundee" as my own choice piece.
    Before I played, i was using techniques to keep the saliva level correct but when i got nearer the end after the high stuff, my mouth dried up completely. I tried the techniques of getting saliva back like rubbing your tongue against the back of your teeth, but unlike earlier in the day, it didn't work. Luckily it was late enough to still earn me 1st place but what would you suggest to do before or during which doesn't take much time to get saliva in your mouth?
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Here is one that Andrew Berryman tells his students.

Get a pack of tic tacs and break them all in half and put a couple on your stand. When you are nervous and your mouth dries up just take a tic tac and it will all come back.

Try that?
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Water with a touch of lemon juice in it.....just water won't work.
  4. Masterblaster jnr

Do Starbursts Work. My Mum is telling me about Opal fruits helping saliva.
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

They'll certainly make your mouth water, but do you really want to blow that down your instrument? :-?
  6. At your age you should be enoying playing Master! For me.... well you are too far ahead of yourself.. I know you are pooping in y[IMGLEFT][/IMGLEFT]our pants to tell the world (infro from other threads)you were on the child adjudication panel at The Yorks area, (It's nothing)you are so keen to tell others what you have done it understandable your served ban for posting comments that werent acceptable)......
    Graham...i adore you... stop your son before he kills a really promising futurre. XSee you Munday mate;....
  7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Are you saying this thread was just an excuse to tell us the young master won first prize at a music festival? No?
    Whatever next?

Nice gentle intro to tmp Mrs Grandfathersclock ;)
  8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Works every time for me. My mouth is always like a desert before I go onto a contest stand
  9. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

If you lick your finger and wipe it behind your ear for some reason that stimultes the saliva glands - not very classy tho!
  10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

And me, it's what I do now.
  11. TP Euph

TP Euph Member

How do you lick your finger if you've no saliva? :-? How many water keys does a horn have? Try recycling!
  12. Masterblaster jnr

I suppose you could pretend you are rubbing your lip and scratching your ear. But knowing me i can't be that subtle, but adludicators don't judge what you look like do they? (If they did i would have no chance :redface: )#

13. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

Boots "expert dry mouth spray". Costs about £2.60? Comes in a neat 50ml spray bottle that will tuck into your shirt/blouse/other pocket.

Tried it for the first time at the Area - worked a treat (for me!).

Nice taste too!
  14. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Oh I do hate it when people don't check their spelling and grammar before submitting posts - it really does deflate the respect of any arguement you may have when you can't even check it before posting. (MBJ falls into this category also by the way - and I have told him!)

I can confirm that I am, along with some respected tmp contributors, keeping an eye on his return to tmp and so far I am pleased that he has made some intellegent contributions to the site since his return. It's up to the mods, not you or I to decide otherwise.

Jonny is not too far ahead of himself - he is simply asking the valid question as to how to maintain saliva during a performance, and I have to say that having heard him play at the Rothwell Music Festival Open Section last night, it is a very good question as he sounded to 'dry up' towards the end of the piece - something which he has never done before.

It's no different to asking what type of mute or mouthpiece should be used etc...

OK - perhaps he didn't have to mention that he still (deservedly) won the section, but tell me he's the first person (junior, or adult for that matter) to be proud of what he's done. I'm sorry - I forgot we live in Britain where we always seem to pull down our achievers in whatever walk of life.

Anyway, back to topic - I remember Barry Hudson once advocating the use of a Mars Bar (behave!!) to generate saliva before going on stage - it's an interesting idea, although as a shed builder I find it a bit irrelevant!

As for the Children's Adjudication Panel - you may think "it's nothing" - but I was there all day, and it was a superb initiative from 4br et al and I hope in future that other youngsters who show the enthusiasm for the Brass Band movement that Jonny does will be able to benefit from similar ventures.

Anyway, welcome to tmp - I'm not sure who you are (not that my response would have been different), but please enjoy the mass debates we have, and try to avoid the anonymous mud slinging which I hate about this site. My name is Graham Bates and I play for Skelmanthorpe Band, and I have the balls to say it.

p.s. what are we doing on Monday??
  15. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Glasshouses and stones spring to mind ;)
  16. chizzum

chizzum Member

Chewing Gum, not the safest way and may people frown upon it but many top players swear by in, all through concerts. Leslie Howie for one!
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

For me its good old fashioned water (sometimes with a dash of lemon if I remember top prepare it). An old mate of mine used to swear by eating a whole tomato before he went on stage - and at times he'd take one on stage and munch it in his bars rest too! I notice more and more players are using chewing gum these days - personally I'd be scared of firing it down my flugel whenever I playeda ff passage.

We're all different though - what works for me might not work for you. Best try a few of the suggestions made here and stick with the one that works best.
  18. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

two pints of Guiness before hand might help :)
  19. Masterblaster jnr

I don't quite think i'm old enough yet. :mad: , :guiness:p

I tried the tic tac suggestion on saturday and that worked so thanks for the suggestion.

Mars bar worked again, and i think i'm the same as many, don't fancy chewing gum.
  20. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

On a similar topic-does anyone have a cure for getting the shakes?!

I think I'm solving my dry-mouth problem, but can't stop shaking when I'm really nervous. It's particulary bad when I'm stood up for some reason. AND it really doesn't do my vibrato any favours, shaking all over the place!