Salford University Brass Band in Concert

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Zeek, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

The Salford University Brass Band have there 2nd concert this academic year on 3rd December 2008, at Peel Hall on the Main University Campus.

The concert is starts at 1pm and the musical director is Howard J. Evans.

Pieces for this concert include, Henry V, Vitae Aturnum, and Guest Soloist Brett Baker, solo trombone player with Black Dyke.

Admission is Free and hopefully we will see you there.
  2. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

If you are the first player in a section (assuming there is such a thing on Bb bass, I thought it was a team game myself) then you are the principal.
    I didn't want to say anything but it is against my principles not to.

ps Wednesday afternoon eh? Should be packing them in :)

AEHOWGATE Member

I must admit principal anything other than cornet doesn't work for me either, I'm happy with double B!.
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

and solo Baritone (not 1st) when did that sneak in? Next they'll be letting percussion in and all hell will break loose - coffins on stage.

Let the lad promote himself how he wants! :)
  5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Salford concerts have always been weds afternoons for as long as I know, they don't pack em in, but any other time would be interfering with drinking.
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I've been on the Friends list since Roy started his historical stuff and I sorted him with some of the old stuff out of the Besses library.....they're started out being at night time (I even think it was Friday night).....but it didn't last very long.
  7. floppymute

floppymute Member

I was there at the very start in '76 and in those days we did both afternoon & evening concerts as I recall
  8. Zeek

Zeek Member

I thought i would just give myself a little title, and just going on ex NYBB experience, they had principles in every section, but there were 12 bass at the time, six of each.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

Anyway getting away from the fact that i gave myself a title, i was trying to promote our concert, so if anyone does want to come feel free, the more the merrier
  10. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

You appear to have missed the point.
    It is principAl, not princiPLE.
    Just sounds a little up oneself.
  11. Zeek

Zeek Member

Im just rubbish at spelling
  12. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

From 90 to 95 every concert was on a Wednesday evening.
    Trust me, we took drink afterwards for as long as needed dans le cheval noir...
  13. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Ah, so it was Wednesdays not Fridays then, as that was when I was tickets = cheap date.
  14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Those were the days, TBF they couldn't do that now, it's boarded up. As is half our crawl. Peel Park Inn, that little Tetley house half way down Adelphi St was flattened. Anyone know if the Boddies house that looked like The Jockey off Shameless is still going?

Back on topic, I also vaguely remember that concerts were generally on a Wednesday evening.
  15. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Anyone for Gelf?
    Only the Hyde Park and Adelphi (Pint Pot) are still going round there now.
    Oh, and the Crescent.
    Those were the days, cashing a cheque at the Crescent, supping one pint there, then going next door and spending it all on **** Greenhalls and diesel!!
  16. stopher

stopher Member

Concerts were on Wednesday evenings from 97 to 2000 as I was the idiot on car park duty (I even volunteered so I'd get a free ticket, a yellow vest for an hour and try to ban Dave King from the car park or persuade Chris or Eddie the security guys to clamp his car!)

Think that the times changed in 2002 to the afternoons so that more Uni people could attend. Don't know if it worked .

Don't really remember the black horse after a concert. I know I went in......

AEHOWGATE Member

"Anyone for Gelf?
    Only the Hyde Park and Adelphi (Pint Pot) are still going round there now.
    Oh, and the Crescent.
    Those were the days, cashing a cheque at the Crescent, supping one pint there, then going next door and spending it all on **** Greenhalls and diesel!!"

Dont forget the sneaky 6 pints in the Lima before AHS with Frank!!
  18. jamie m

jamie m New Member

I think that the gelf reference will be lost on anyone that wasn't there! To this day I can't remember why it was funny! Probably something to do with the amount of diesel / pain in th'ar#e we had consumed!

As I remember John it was cash a cheque for £25 cos we weren't having a 'big night' knowing full well that it would cost you £35 more when the bank charged you for going over your limit! Then be out of cash 2 hours later and write another one!

Cost of night out: 2 X £25 cheques ---£50 & £70 bank charges!:clap:

Anyway back on topic ;-) Concerts were Wednesday nights when I was there due to the fact that everybody was at band every other night of the week!
  19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I always thought it was spelt 'jelph'..........
  20. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Well, possibly...
    Dont get me wrong, i'm sure the guys that study (pffftt) at Salford now have a great time but I would be surprised if they have as good a time as we used to!!
    The building was 50% banders, 25% of which were absulute nutters.