Sales Manager / Business Developer Looking for Work

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Columbo, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Columbo

Columbo Member

After having 7 months away from work due to a back injury, I am looking for work again. Had a very good position with a great company and struggled on for a while, but had to part ways due to the lengthy wait for treatment at the time. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.

My Previous Professional Area is as Business Development / Area Sales Manager / Field Sales, Production Management, together with running my own business for 5 years. I'm extremely good at my job and can provide great references to back this up, including previous employers.

Lots of competition out there currently and I'm getting fed up with consultants dictating where I can and can't apply to, therefore, just taking a pot shot at this site to see if anyone can help out a fellow bandsman. I will also be happy to consider part time teaching opportunities if anyone can use me in or out of hours. Please PM me if you can help. Professional and Music CV's can be provided for serious opportunities.

I humbly ask for no time wasters please as this is too important for me. Thank You.
  2. Columbo

Columbo Member

Would love the opportunity to consider Instrument Sales?
  3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

How about a bit of Private detective work?
    I might commision you to find a missing pair of pink fluffy slippers....
  4. Columbo

Columbo Member

So when I said "No Time Wasters"......... I do see the funny side Steve, but having a hard time on the job front at the moment as decent opportunities are few and far between, so serious replies only please. Cheers.
  5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Mmmmm, strange choice of forum, you've given me an idea though, I may try a similar ploy (also being out of work) on a different forum.
  6. Columbo

Columbo Member

You'll understand my plight then Steve and that every outlet is an opportunity. Incidentally, the days of applying direct (Apart from canvassing companies in your field, which is a pot shot) have gone. Its all consultancies now, who decide whether or not THEY want you to go for interview! Ticking boxes etc when personality and likeability does not come into it. Also, they get paid more, the more the salary offered. Therefore,the guy who wants 10K more than you for doing the same job, gets promoted by them first, whereas honesty, as in lots of things in life nowadays, counts for absolutely ****all!
  7. Di B

Di B Member

A couple of thoughts... As an MD can you make other local bands aware you are available for cover? Might make a bit of pocket money this way.

Also I use agencies like Hays as an accountant. Can you ask for temp contracts? Sometimes these are temp to perm and sometimes just for a few days but the agency will know you are reliable after doing this work and will put you forward quicker.

Just keep harassing any agency you are registered with every two days. They will eventually get you something to shut you up (its worked for me!). Also make sure you are on a lot of agency registers.

Hope this helps a bit and the best of luck finding something.
  8. Columbo

Columbo Member

Thanks Di. Pretty much what I m doing, but cheers anyway. Probably not harrasing them enough mind. I'll give that a go. I've just tweaked my CV (Friday) and have 2 interviews this week, one tomorrow! I'll let you know. Cheers. I have all the tricks etc for the interviews together with honesty and integrity etc. Any ground breaking impressive moves would be appreciated though!
  9. Columbo

Columbo Member

Hey, just had a thought Steve! It ain't so bad when you read some of the other ***t put on here occasionally. LOL!! You start with your mates and associates I reckon.
  10. still learnin

still learnin Member

Not a bad ploy this! I'm also in Business Development and was out of work for 12 months (had all of the problems you describe re agencies etc). I dep'd for a neighbouring band, met a guy in a totally different industry, he put me in touch with his MD and I got a new start 4 years ago and have prospered since. Keep plugging and if I hear of anything I'll let you know.
  11. David Mann

David Mann Member

Top tip for CVs on Jobsite etc: refresh and upload them every couple of weeks, even if it's just punctuation - seems to keep you near the top of the pile. Good luck with it, I'm in a similar field and was out of work for 6 months a couple of years ago.
  12. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

try the grocer online theres all sorts of field sales jobs on there and wit experiance im sure some 1 will take you on :) good look with the job hunt :)
  13. Columbo

Columbo Member

Cheers to all for your sensible advice and comments. Please keep 'em comin'. Fingers crossed for tomorrow! Thanks Rachel for your best wishes!
  14. Tubamutha

Tubamutha Member

Hey Columbo

How did the interview go? Shakey times on the job front. I have been under threat from redundancy since May last year so although I still am lucky enough to have a job at the moment I know what it is like - it's enough to give you a breakdown (only banding keeps me sane!).
  15. Columbo

Columbo Member

Went Well thanks. Another today and one tomorrow. Not getting my hopes up though. There's lots of competition out there and obviously I'm coming up against some people who have that little bit more experience than me in some cases. Good experience though. I changed my CV last week and that seems to be creating more interest. I am learning all the time. I've had 5 interviews where I have had 2nd interviews for all but 1. In most cases, I have been considered in last 2 or 3 candidates of 50 or 60. I am keeping myself going by convincing myself that the interview experience is good for me. Its tough out there as you say. When I got my last job, I had 7 interviews and had 7 2nd interviews from those. Its harder now though and my background is construction which is even tougher. Good luck to you and lets hope that you don't find yourself in this situation. I didn't ask for the back problem! Cheers.
  16. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

Might seem obvious but have you tried the music sales angle-normans/band supplies etc- mate of mine works for a company dealing solely in saxaphone/winds instruments and he's a trom player!
  17. Columbo

Columbo Member

Its on my agenda for this week Tony. Even Temporary or Part time for now would suit. Its good to see so many decent people coming forward with advice and help. Its also encouraging to see the no. of views this thread has had. It just goes to show, there are nice genuine people on here and has restored my faith somewhat.

You busy on Pontins weekend Tony? Desperately need trom player (Whitworth, 3rd Section)

Cheers again.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  18. Columbo

Columbo Member

Great! Just seen that 6 Construction Recruitment companies have been fined several million £'s for price fixing! Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence when it comes to their integrity! LOL!
  19. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

Hi mate, Pontins might be poss-what date is it? Just done wychavon with Poynton and been out with glossop and hepworth at weekend so keepin busy! Hear you're back playing the floogal?
  20. Columbo

Columbo Member

Yes I am. I think Pontins is 24th. PM me please as I need to keep thi sthreadon track. Cheers Tone!