Salaried Private Music Teachers?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rambo Chick, Jan 20, 2010.

?

How are you paid as a private instrumental teacher?

1. I have a base salary regardless of the number of students I teach

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. My earnings are based purely on the number of students I teach

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Hi

Just a quick poll.

How many tMpers out there who teach instrumental lessons are salaried? Or are you paid purely on the number of students you teach (which seems obvious).

let me know and many thanks!

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I'm a bit disappointed with the response.

I need to know if salaried peripatetic teachers exist. For my own piece of mind. I would very much appreciate a tick in the poll, even if there are no comments.

Please pretty please. Past or present!:redface:

3. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I'm not a music teacher, but I know that one of music teachers is employed by my school but my other music teacher only get money from the pupils he teaches.

4. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Hi,

I'm not a peri teacher myself but the ones we employ at school are through a music service, and are salaried. It does depend on their hours, but its a bit more stable that way and offers a bit more job security, from what the teachers have said to me.

5. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Thanks for the response from you all :)

6. Mujician

Mujician Member

I think derbyshire is the only county in england that has a self employed peripatetic teching team. Its a bit strange, in derbyshire you dont really need to go through the music partnership, as long as you had some instruments to give to pupils and you got a CRB check through the schools you were in, you would be free to go and teach anywhere you pleased.

7. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

I know both, teachers who are on a salary and teachers who are paid per student/session. Both employed by the same music service, however I think they may be phasing out the pay per student thing gradually.

I am self employed at the moment so I am obviously paid per student.

8. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

Hi there,

I'm a bit confused by your question.

Do you want to know about whether peripatetic teachers who teach in schools are salaried or do you want to know whether private music teachers are salaried?

Unless things have changed recently, the definition of 'private' is that lessons are paid for by the pupil/parent and take place outside the formal education system.

Sorry if that sounds pedantic.

Pete

9. In light of this, I may have answered your poll wrong. I am salaried by the school, where I have band and chorus rehearsals, as well as teaching the students. I teach privately, and am paid by the student.

10. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Hi Pete, not at all in fact that was something which I wanted clarifying. Yes private teacher does mean paid by the pupil/parent as I understand it and I haven't heard of a 'salaried' private music teacher. However I have been told it is a requirement for something I am dealing with at the moment and wanted to know if indeed salaried private music teachers existed.

Peripatetic and private are not the same thing then? The term seems to be used in a general sense to mean instrumental teachers who travel around. If someone can enlighten me that would be good.

Anyway thanks for your response. :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tMpers
    number of students
    Salaried Private Music Teachers
    quick poll
    instrumental lessons
  12. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

my understanding is that a 'peripatetic' music teacher is someone who teaches intrustmental music as apposed to someone who teaches 'class music' in school. A private teacher is someone who teaches music 'outside of school' so their pupils might go to their house to learn.

13. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I am an instrumental teacher in schools and privately and it very much varies how you are paid around here on a school to school basis.

I'm only in 2 schools at the moment. One does all the paperwork and I invoice the school and in the other, I have contracts with parents and invoice them half-termly (which I much prefer)

14. zak

zak Member

Absolutely spot on!!!!!!

15. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I teach privately so if I dont teach I dont get paid :(
    No holiday pay or sick pay or pension either but I am self employed and love it

16. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Peripatetic simply means itinerant or travelling.
    In education it means employed in two or more educational establishments and travelling from one to another. You can have a peripatetic rugby coach or needle work teacher. It has no special meaning to music as far as I know.

17. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

there seems to be 4 pay structures that are common. 1. Local Authority Music service can be per hour either taxed at source or paye often pro rata (cos good instrumental teaching doesn't apparently deserve the right to have realistic terms with some authorities) 2. Staff can be payed on what is called teachers pay and conditions which oddly is the pay scale class room teachers are on, the qualified rate can go up to about 33k before management points are added and then its possible to earn really good money, 3. strangely the people on that money often work with people on the non qualified rate doing the same job but for 10k less. This is a strange situation and not an ideal one as quality of work/attendance/success can often be juxtaposed against to two salaries. Also the P.G.C.E qualification doesn't necessarily have to be in music to get on the qualified pay spine...strange!!!. 4. A private arrangement between teacher and school or teacher and pupils parents. while you can miss out on things like holidays/pensions that the teachers pay and conditions offers, this pay scheme does offer flexibility (i.e. useful if a regular in work player) and in the right posh school where parents know no better and where money isn't an issue a ridiculous amount of money can be charge for what (lets face it) isn't a particularly hard job and one that brings nothing but enjoyment as its the hobby we all love. Personally i reckon a national pay scale needs to come into action where a fair/decent wage can eventually be earned with good results, improved abilities and no skiving etc etc. maybe something like halfway between the qualified and non qualified rate. 26/27k would be more than fair for what is a 33 hour week with 13 weeks holidays. PGCE pay scale should be for a class room teaching. Teachers with a PGCE should be using it for just that as that is what the tax payer funded the years course for. Instrumental teaching possibly should have its own qualification that doesn't need a degree because many fantastic teachers are great because they are top players and very inspirational to the pupil and they are not necessarily always academically qualified.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  18. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I also think you'll find that things are changing a lot at the moment. As government cuts start to squeeze local authorities I think you will see more music services firstly cut full time staff by making them part-time (already know of a couple of authorities where this has happened) and secondly remove their contracts and let schools source teachers directly.

So a lot of flux in this area over the next couple of years. The result I think will be many less teachers directly full-time employed by an LEA.