Saints Secure 3rd at Crawley

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by grahammck, May 25, 2009.

1. grahammck

grahammck Member

Sunday 17th May
    Fresh from a win at the recent Area Contest, the band went to the 28th SCABA Entertainment Contest, held at the Hawth Theatre, Crawley with the aim of continuing that success.

Our 24 minute programme for this year consisted of:
    ? Bramwyn (John R. Carr)
    ? Lil' Darlin (Neal Hefti arr. Philip Sparke)
    ? Ticket to Ride (Lennon & McCartney arr. Alan Fernie)
    ? Doyle's Lament (Peter Graham, soloist Lynsey Frater)
    ? Let's Face the Music and Dance (Irving Berlin arr. Goff Richards)

Our performance this year rewarded us with 84 points which was good enough for 3rd place. We also won a prize for the best trombone section. Other particularly pleasing aspects of our result were that we had been awarded the highest score for musical performance and adjudicator David Read had lots of good things to say about our performance such as good attention to detail and that a good sound was made!

The prize giving saw 2nd baritone player Cameron Lake being presented with a SCABA certificate for service to banding. Cameron has been with Saints for 62 years and was band secretary for 32 of those years! Well done Cameron!

Chairman Lisa Hubble said:
    It is good to see the band performing consistently well under the baton of our new MD, Lee Woodward. I hope to see the band go from strength to strength in this new partnership, and achieve a favourable result at the National Finals in Harrogate in September. This SCABA contest was a fantastic opportunity for the Band to acknowledge Cameron Lake?s amazing service to Saints. He is our longest serving member, and has been a very loyal bandsman. He is an inspiration to us all!

M.D Lee Woodward said:

I am absolutely delighted with the Band's performance in our first two contests, the level of effort and commitment from the Band has been very pleasing and I am looking forward to a busy summer and then the National finals where we will be going as Area Champions for the first time in the Band's history.

The band is now looking forward to a busy Summer season and its visit to the Whit Walks & Marching Contests.