Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by HBB, Nov 19, 2009.

1. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hi there,

Can any one reassure me that Saint-Saens is out of copyright now?! :)

2. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I reckon you're OK. He died in 1921, so I think he would have been out of copyright in 1991.
  3. HBB, what year are you in at college.....

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

If it is, it shouldn't be :tongue:
  5. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I really hope so.... :oops:
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Was pretty certain, but was just double checking - don't want to get in trouble! :)
  8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I wouldn't waste your time, as all the good stuff's been done already :wink:
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Yes, Saint-Saens died in 1921. Under the old 'life plus 50 years' copyright rule, his copyright expired in 1971. When the 70 year rule came in, in 1995, his music's copyright even for that period would also have passed.

However, it is always careful with composers who died say, early in the 20th century, to check for posthumous works, i.e. works known not to have been performed in the composer's lifetime. In these cases, the copyright period for 'posthumous works' is, (as I remember from my days at PRS) life + 50 years, not 70 (though that may have changed since I left PRS). Vaughan Williams' brass band piece Henry V for instance, falls into this category, having been discovered by Howard Snell (I think) and it received its first performance in (I believe) 1979.

The reason I mention this is that I clocked this from Wikipedia regarding Saint-Saens:

'A previously lost opera score Hélène was composed by Saint-Saëns for the great Australian soprano, Dame Nellie Melba, in 1904. The score was rediscovered by a researcher in 2007 and was performed for the first time in the soprano's home city (Melbourne) during January 2008.'

It's not 100% clear from this snippet whether Dame Nellie Melba did actually perform it!. If she didn't and it was discovered and performed for the first time in 2008, then that particular piece will go out of copyright on 1/1/2059. Assuming of course the information from Wikipedia is accurate.....

I'm sure this is all irrelevant anyway as my spies tell me that Danse Macabre is Ben's piece of choice.... :)
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

11. HBB

HBB Active Member

Don't worry guys - case closed! Just looking at it for a sample in my weird electronic compositions we've gotta do at college! :)
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009