Saddleworth- huh?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cshimmon, Jun 12, 2011.

1. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

I'm coming up to saddleworth later on in the day and need to meet up with my hubby and band, so I'm going to be on my own, in a car and will have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing! (never been before!)

Can anyone give me any advice? I don't know where to go, what to do re; car and coach etc- any info would be gratefully received as I know absolutely nothing!
  2. Frontman

Frontman Member

It would assist if you would let me know where abouts in Saddleworth you are going? If you look at a map, Saddleworth covers from Lees to Marsden and from Mossley to Denshaw and all villages in between.

Some villages are easy to access others you will not get near. So once again I ask where are you heading too?

PM me if you wish.
  3. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Well the problem is that because I don't know where they'll be when I arrive- depending on traffic etc- I really have no idea where I need to go! :confused:

I've included the bands intended route, but this isn't set in stone of course.

1 Lydgate
    2 Grotton
    3 Lees & Springhead
    4 Greenacres
    5 Scouthead & Austerlands
    6 Delph
    7 Dobcross
    8 Diggle
  4. Frontman

Frontman Member

Looking at the list I would suggest that the best thing to do would be to go to Diggle if that is their last contest.

The route you have given me is the normal order which bands would progress round which makes the traffic chaos acceptable however trying to get round to find a band will be chaotic to say the least.

Hope you have a good evening and pray for the sun.......
  5. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Thank you so much for your help. I'll be leaving home between 6 and 6.30 and it'll take me 2-2.5 hours to Diggle, so I'd get there between 8 and 9pm- does that make sense? Is there anything I need to know about parking?
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

i) Try not to hit anything
    ii) Not a good idea to park in the middle of the road

7. The Rag

The Rag New Member

if they are planning to finish at diggle, check out diggle's whit friday website - - with regards to parking as a whole, be prepared to park the car and walk to either a contest or to meet your band
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  8. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Helpful as always I see Peter :rolleyes: I'm assuming you want me to make it on saturday? ;) Blimey what a week this is going to be.
  9. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Thank you! I'll go have a look, does anyone know how far I might have to walk if I do that?
  10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

If you are meeting your band at Lydgate for the start from Diggle thats one heck of a walk!

If you are just going to stay at Diggle and Listen there and meet your band then you shouldnt have to park more than 10 mins away (depending upon arrival time).
  11. Frontman

Frontman Member

You can park in the Diggle Mill car park which is only 300yds from the Diggle Contest. It is big enough for all.
  12. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Unless the route changes of course, I'm thinking they'll probably be at stop 5 when I arrive, but I wouldn't be able to walk there in time, so I'll probably be walking to either dobcross or delph. I'm working on the assumption they'll be up to an hour at each, starting at four-ish.

Blimey it really is going to be quite some weekend!
  13. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Wait times stack up at Delph Bands have to check in before 10 I think it is, but are often playing until well after midnight :)

Over 70 played there for each the last 3 years.
  14. backrow

backrow New Member

Diggle to Delph is a long walk!!!
  15. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

10.15 it says on their site. Bear in mind I'm completely new to it though! I've got no idea whether they'll make it all the way round, how long they'll be in each place etc- that's why I'm asking you guys for as much info as you can give me, because I'm clueless and happy to admit it! :biggrin:
  16. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

I'm looking at 2.3 miles by road- or going over the hill! :eek:
  17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Online weather forecasts currently expect there to be rain on both Thursday and Friday... Don't forget your wellies!
  18. Blossom

Blossom Member

It looks like a lot of hassle to me - why not just make a day of it and travel with the band ?
  19. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

If I had any choice, I would! I genuinely can't set off until sometime after 6.
  20. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Oh, and I;m already sorted welly wise!