Saddam Hussein Hanged

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 30, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has been executed by hanging at a secure facility in northern Baghdad for crimes against humanity.

The news was confirmed to the BBC by the Iraqi deputy foreign minister.
    Iraqi TV said the execution took place just before 0600 local time (0300GMT). A representative of the prime minister and a Sunni Muslim cleric were present.
  2. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

About time if you ask me!
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

as good as it is to see the old man swing, i cant help thinking that i would have prefered him to rot in a jail cell untill he expired.

Isn't hanging an easy way out for him?

Does he make a martyr of himself now he swings

I'm sure we will see in the coming weeks what efect his death will have In Iraq over the comming weeks and months.
    Lets hope our boys dont come under any further attacks as a result
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  4. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

I agree with you on this one - living in an Iraqui jail for a very very long time would have been preferable I think. As you say, let's hope it doesn't cause even more deaths among our troops out there.
  5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I do agree with this but how much would it cost the Iraqi people to keep him in prison. It might be living hell for him but why waste good money on him. He was too dangerous to be left alive!
  6. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

With you there Bass Man. I used to have all sorts of principles about making people suffer, not giving them the easy way out. I don't feel that way anymore though.
    a) Prisons are expensive, even basic ones.
    b) Keep people in them and they only start demanding basic human rights which they usually don't deserve.

For sure, his followers may indeed make a martyr of him, but then I daresay they would whether he was dead or just immobilised in prison. He would die eventually anyway and the outcome would be just the same. Saddam's followers have been, and still are, ruthless and barbaric but at least they are a minority in Iraq.
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I was always surprised he didn't 'commit suicide', when being captured. ;)
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I think the death penalty was probably deserved just as it was for the Nazis at Nuremberg. However I also believe that this was a politically motivated verdict and I am uneasy with the undue haste in carrying out the sentence. It will be seen by many arabs as an American decision.
  10. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Wouldn't have liked to see him imprisoned for the rest of his life, there would always be a chance that he would be freed in some way, now there is no chance of him walking free.
  11. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Yeah - well, we're kinda getting used to being blamed for everything that's wrong with the world anymore anyway - whatever.

12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

If the cap fits ...
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

This is exactly how I felt about it. While he deserved the death penalty (and probably worse really) I can't help thinking its a political decision.

The other thing which really concerns me is that he will almost certainly become some sort of martyr to the insurgents' cause. It would've been much better to show pictures of a thin, snivelling waste of a man in a few months time - or at least some pictures of their former "great and mighty leader" rotting in some godforsaken hole somewhere. The film I saw tonight of a man ready to die, and ready to do it with as much dignity as he could muster was exactly the wrong thing to be showing to people who are already quite prepared to blow themselves and anyone else unlucky enough to be close by to bits for their cause. I fear this will only serve as a recruitment video, I can just see the spiel: look at our great leader paying the ultimate sacrifice...

But the whole thing is typical of the decisions made during the latest Iraq conflict. At almost every step there have been other, more intelligent choices on offer, but we've always taken the vengeful and revenge path. Symptomatic of a dull political mind making the ultimate decisions (Bush) and a lapdog to back him up (Blair).

My wife asked me tonight if I thought there would ever be peace in Iraq, and as I sit here tonight I just can't see it ever happening. The violence has too much of a foothold now, and we don't have the brains to work out the correct way to deal with it. The whole situation is a total mess - much worse than Vietnam or Korea, and killing Saddam Hussein is not going to have any impact on that.
  14. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

... wear it proudly.

I guess it truly is easier to cast blame from the sidelines than to even attempt doing something to solve the problems.

However I'm not gonna argue with you here, mate. We all do our part (usually), and it's just normal that the one with the most invested attracts the most attention - especially from those who just sit by and watch. (Which is typically those with the biggest problems - the Arabs in this case)
  15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

^^ could'nt agree with you more Mr 4x4. This damned if they do damned if they don't criticism of US/Britain Bush/Blair is getting really tedious.

Undue Haste? - he was arrested in 2003!
    Saddam was tried in an Iraqi court by Iraqi people, found guilty of murdering Iraqi citizens, sentenced to death , appealed unsuccessfully and was then executed, as the Iraqi law demanded under a warrant signed by the Iraqi President, within the 30 days statutary maximum. There was no further avenues of appeal allowed so it seemed common sense to do it as quickly as possible to prevent any violence from his supporters - just imagine if they waited to the last day at the 11th hour and what a clarion call that would have been to his Sunni insurgents and Baarthist party supporters.

The conspiricy theorists should recognise that the International force in Iraq has bent over backward to make this an all Iraqi decision. Similar cases have seen dictators like Saddam Hussein tried in an international court at the Hague and sentenced to a very comfortable life sentence.

If you don't agree with the trial/execution blame the Iraqis - or better still blame the monster Saddam Hussein for being personally complicit in the murders of 100,000 people and bringing it on himself - and if you still insist Bush/Blair are to blame - well they might have got something right for a change!
  16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Perhaps you fail to see that Iraqs current problems were created by the US and UK policy.

Just to be clear, I am not an apologist for Saddam Hussein, I personally believe he got what he deserved. I also believe that war was inevitable. I just wish that our leaders had been more honest with us and said they were going to war to force regime change rather than dressing it up as some hunt for non-existant WMD's. Saddam was no threat to either US or UK interests or even his own neighbours. The only threat he presented was to his own population, and yes, that did have to be addressed.
  17. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I think you may have forgotten a long war with Iran with over 1million killed.His invasion of Kuwait and the ensuing Gulf war, his firing of Skud missiles into Israel. The super-gun affair........
  18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Inddeed - so how come Mugabe is still free? (He also has no known connection with Al Quaeda nor has he any WMD)

"You don’t need chemical weapons to kill people in their thousands, nor do you need nuclear bombs or ruthless soldiers rousting people from their homes in the dead of night in order to dispatch hundreds of people to an early grave. All you need to do is ensure people can’t eat, that they can’t access the vital medication that they need to survive, and that they don’t have shelter over their heads. Disease, starvation, and brutal environmental elements are a deadly combination in a despot’s arsenal, and are as certain to kill as the most sophisticated military weapon."
  19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Oh yes, that little war in which Saddam was funded and equipped by the US, UK and France.

Not likely to forget about this one. A bit of a missed opportunity there and perhaps some unfinished business.

Good old British captains of industry can't ignore a good deal can they.

Please excuse my inacuuracies. No I had not forgotten. I was merely pointing out that at the time in 2003 Saddam was not a threat. UN sanctions had crippled him, and unfortunately most of the Iraqi people. UN inspections, although hampered, had basically unearthed no evidence of the WMD's that we had been told were there.
  20. andyp

andyp Active Member

Er... no oil in Zimbabwe?:dunno