Sad passing of Laurence Shipman (former Leeds Model Band)

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by winterman, Jan 20, 2011.

1. winterman

winterman Member

It is with some sadness I have to report the passing of Laurence Shipman, a retired cornet player and member of the former Leeds Model Band for a lengthy period sometime during the 50s/60s/70s (I never got an exact period from him).

Laurence was a regular in the Spotted Cow pub at Drighlington where our band frequent after rehearsals and concerts and could always be found propping up the end of the bar with a friendly smile and cheerful word to everyone.

Over the last few months I had got to know Laurence quite well as he always asked about what the band were up to, how our concert earlier in the day had gone and so on, and also fascinating me with some of the stories from his playing days, which he had long lost touch with it seems.

Sadly missed, fondly remembered!

His funeral will take place at St Paul's Church, Whitehall Road, Drighlington, BD11 1LQ at 11:00am on Wednesday 26th January 2011.

The family has asked that no flowers be sent but, if anyone wishes to, please make a donation to the R.N.L.I
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

How sad. You and I were only talking about him only the other day.
    Another "Model Man" gone to rest.
    He'll be in good company with some other good Model men who have gone before.
    RIP and condolences to the family.

- Ian Wilkinson (Ex Modeller)