Sad passing of James (Jim) Wright, Sheffield Salvation Army

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by johnflugel, Jun 1, 2006.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I received the sad news that James (Jim) Wright passed away at his home during the course of last night.

Jim was up until a few years ago, the bandmaster of the Sheffield Citadel Band and Yorkshire Divisional Youth Band. His personality, humour, commitment, manner and most of all christian example will be certainly not be forgotten .

I am sorry that I do not have more details - I just thought there may be a few guys on TMP who will have known Jim in the past. My apologies if someone was preparing a more detailed post or if I have duplicated a post elsewhere.

I have the family address details should anyone want to PM me.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Very sad news indeed, and he'd only just signed up with tMP as well.

At least he will be remembered by those who have played under him, and who will continue to play his fine arrangements.

3. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Thats really sad, he was certainly a 'character'! His 'Fantasia for Children' was a lovely piece, amongst many!

4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I was shocked to read of this. I always enjoyed playing his music. Sadly, I never heard Sheffield Citadel when he was bandmaster, but I heard them in the late 1980's when I remember Jim Wright (then playing baritone) doing the narration for William Himes' "Jericho Re-Visited"; he had the audience in stitches. A great character. My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends at this time.

5. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Prior to being Bandmaster for a spell at Sheffield Citadel, he was Young People's Sergeant Major and was always a great encourager and supporter of young Salvationist musicians.

An excellent musician, hilarious raconteur and fearless practical joker, Jim will be sadly missed.

God bless his soul.

6. solo_euph

solo_euph Member

Jim was my YPSM when i was at Sheffield citadel as a child . we stayed at the hall on Sunday afternoon for tea after the praise meeting Jim would be there and he would play the organ or piano for us or conduct an impromptu band practice and we would have a great time he was a great musician and a good friend to us all.
    Jim was also the pianist for the songster and singing company and always went with the YP band for concerts to accompany soloists. He taught me a lot over the years one particular incident I remember was when the YP band had gone away for the weekend and I was on the program to play the George Marshal solo Ransomed and Jim was to accompany me we had a run through .I was a typical cocky teenager that thought that I was better than I was and believed I could play it no problem but Jim put me right it was not good. but after about half an hour i was getting beater with Jim's help and by the time we had finished it was getting good.

thanks Jim god bless you and keep you

7. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Jims funeral will be taking place at 1:20 this Thursday (8th June) and will be held at the Crematorium in Rotherham. This will be followed by a Celebration and thanksgiving service for Jim to be held at 2:30 in the Sheffield Citadel SA hall, 12 Psalter lane. For further information or directions please see www.sheffieldcitadel.co.uk <http://www.sheffieldcitadel.co.uk>
    The crematorium is quite small so we would urge you to join us for the celebration in Sheffield

Thank you for all your thoughts, prayers and support