Sad Passing of Gifted Musician and Friend

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Owen, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Owen

Owen Member

On Sunday morning, Jo Almack, our very talented second euphonium player and great friend died very suddenly. Jo was twenty years old and a student at the University of Manchester where she was studying euphonium and viola.

The members of the band are devastated at the news. However, following
    discussions with her family, the band has decided that it will still compete at the Grand Shield on the 8th May as a mark of our deep respect and love for Jo.

The members of United Coop Yorkshire Brass Band wishes to send its deepest sympathies and heartfelt thoughts to the Almack family and to everyone who was close to Jo. She will always be uppermost in our thoughts.

There will be a private family funeral, but a Memorial Service to celebrate Jo's life will be held on Saturday 8 May at St. Aiden's Church of England High School in Harrogate. The time has yet to be confirmed.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Musician
    Passing
    euphonium
    United Coop Yorkshire Brass Band
    friend
  3. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

So sorry to hear such sad news Owen. My deepest sympathies to all Jo's family & friends & all at United Co-Op Yorkshire.

4. Heather

Heather Member

Sending condolences from everyone at United Co op Band (Crewe).
    I'm sure you've made the right decision about the Grand Shield.
    We. unfortunately lost a member of the Band just before last years Areas and made the decision to go to the contest. It was very sad but we did it for him.
    I'm sure you'll do the same for Jo.

5. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Such sad news! much sympathies to the band and her family

6. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

An utter tragedy.

Please accept our sincere condolences from the Scottish Co-op Band.

7. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

Heard the news at the start of the week through mutual friends of the band. Deepest sympathies to family and band from all of Jackfield Elcock Reisen Band
    James

8. winterman

winterman Member

I am sorry to hear such sad news.

Please accept and send our deepest condolences from all at Drighlington Band as well.

Mic Tyler
    Principal Euph
    Drighlington Band

9. strongbow

strongbow Member

Such a sad loss.

Please accept and send our condolence from all at Glossop Old Band

10. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I think I can speak on behalf of Bestwood Black Diamonds and offer our deepest condolences. Such sad news.

11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Deepest Sympathies and heartfelt best wished go out to all Jo's family and all at United Co-op Band from myself and all at Emley Band.
    Terrible news.

Keep playing that Euph Jo.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Musician
    Passing
    euphonium
    United Coop Yorkshire Brass Band
    friend
  13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

How tragic for such a talent to be taken so young.
    My deepest sympathy to the family.

Ian Wilkinson
    2nd EEb Bass
    Kippax Band
    Leeds

14. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

Deepest sympathy to Jo's family and everyone at Co op Yorkshire from myself and everyone at Sellers.

15. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Such sad news. Condolences to all friends and family from myself and everyone at the East Yorkshire Motor Services Band (Hull), and I'm sure all at Salford University Music Dept.
    A real tragedy.

16. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Very sad news... Condolences from myself and on behalf of my family and The Leyland Band.

17. Steve

Steve Active Member

Simply re-itterating the comments above on behalf of myself and the rest of my band. A tragic loss, especially so young. Deepest sympathies to the band and her family.

18. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I heard from one of Co-Op's players earlier today, and although I'd only known her briefly when I played with the band a while back, it is still a major shock to me.

Please accept my deepest sympathies to the family and to the band ... Jo was a terrific player and had a fine future ahead of her.

19. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Such sad news, my thoughts are with Jo's family, friends amd the band, condolences from all at Renfrew Burgh Band.

20. I think doing the contest is definitely the right thing. Sadly, the father of a cornet player at Rochdale Youth Band died last year on the morning of the National Youth Championships... I was drafted back in to dep for her on bumper-up, and the band were absolutely distraught as Peter was such a close friend to everyone. But there was something heart warming about going ahead and doing our best, and deep down we all knew it was what he would have wanted more than anything.

Sympathies to you all at co op and to Jo's family, from myself and everyone at Pennine Brass. :cry:

21. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

condolences to all Jo's family and fellow banders.

22. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

Very sad news, deepest condolences to Jo's family and band.