Sad news

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DaveR, Jul 14, 2005.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Sad news: Francis Evans passes away

I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes by posting this, but I have just had a phone call from a friend of mine informing me that Francis Evans, conductor of Porthleven Band and owner of Accent Music died suddenly last week.

Although I didn't know Francis very well, I did have the pleasure of receiving a warm welcome from him and his band when I was on holiday in Porthleven a couple of years ago and he kindly published a number of my pieces. He was also a talented composer and arranger, as well as an inspirational conductor and teacher.

I would like to pass on my sympathies to his wife Paula and his family at this tragic time.

DaveR

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Porthleven Band
    Francis Evans
    conductor of Porthleven Band
    family
    Sad news
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Sorry to hear the news .

I did not know him but he adjudicated me at a solo contest some years ago,his notes were very helpful to me.

4. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I had only met him once whe he helped me tune at the music festival, but he is very well known in cornwall.

My thoughts go out to the young family which he has left behind

xXx

5. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

I am very saddened by this news. Francis was a very nice guy that I met a couple of times through work. Only last month I spent my holiday down in Cornwall and arranged a business meeting with Francis in his relatively new shop in Hayle. He was very excited about the future of his business and we discussed how we could help each other in the future.

My thoughts go out to his family at this difficult time for them.

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I was saddened to hear this news the other day.

Although I didn't know Francis that well I do remember him when he was conductor of the old City of Leicester band. At the time they and us (Wigston) enjoyed a healthy rivalry. I depped for City of Leicester on several occasions during his time there and he was always friendly and pleasant.

48 is no age. My condolancies go out to Paula and Francis' family.

8. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I heard this shocking news through rumour last week, and still can't believe it.

Francis has attended a couple of St Agnes rehersals in the past, and brought some of his skills to the band, many of which our conductor still uses today.

He has also taught a couple of members of the band, one of which took and passed his grade 5 exam with distinction only last week.

My thoughts go out to his family.

9. schilke

schilke New Member

Francis Evans

It was with great saddness that I read of the Death of Francis Evans. I and my wife Paula new Francis very well in the 80s & 90s when he was with Ireland & Staveley Bands He also introduced me to Dronfield Band which I conducted for 3 Years Please pass our condolances to his Family from Dave & Paula Ablett.