Sad News: Passing of John Horton

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by TheMusicMan, Feb 18, 2009.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hello everyone

I received an email this morning from a friend of the family and I am saddened to post this on here, but very sadly, last night, John Horton passed away in hospital. For many many years, John was the driving force behind Newport Band, and worked tirelessly on behalf of all the players and officials of the band. My fondest memories of John are when he and his wife, Olive, dressed up to attend our many fun Murder Mystery parties. John was always up for the part, was never afraid to get involved in anything, and was a joy. He will be sadly missed.

This is the email I received, very sad news indeed;

================
    I am very sad to have to tell you that John Horton died last night. He had gone into hospital last night having breathing difficulties and died very shortly after being admitted. Olive rang me this morning and asked me to let people know. He was such a lovely man and is going to be missed by a great many people.

John could always be relied upon to give good sound advice and to see the best in people. Thankfully Olive has came back to band recently, encouraged by John, to help out where needed and has taken over as Chairman. I think it will be good for her in the future.
    ================

2. Deano

Deano Member

John was a true gent .

My thoughts are with Olive at this sad time.

3. TheMusicMan

Funeral details:

Johns funeral will be held on Tuesday 3rd March at 12noon, at St. Julian's Methodist Church, Newport and will be followed by 1pm at the Crematorium with refreshments at the Newport YMCA after that.

Mike Davis will Conduct a band,and Dai Davis (Mike's Dad) is going to write and read a poem about John. Dai is also going to play. There will be a male voice choir at the crematorium.

Olive (Johns wife) would love a band to play at the funeral, but is still worried that she won't be able to get one together in time so if you're in the area, and would like to play some hymns in a small band at Johns funeral this would be appreciated.

4. MAW

MAW Member

Thanks for putting the details on John. I made a mistake about the Male Voice Choir at the Crematorium. :oops: Call it a senior moment. ;) It is in fact going to be a recording of a Male Voice Choir singing 2 of Olive and John's favourite songs.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Our utmost sympathy and respect go to Olive and her family. John was a genuine hero of his time and will will be remembered fondly by many.

6. small split

small split New Member

I have many happy memories of John from my time as a member of Newport Band. I would like to extend my deepest sympathy to Olive and her family, the banding world is a colder place without him.

Meirion

BTM Band

7. TheMusicMan

Well, Jen, Lloyd and I have just returned home after attending Johns funeral at the church and the subsequent service at the crematorium, which was held at 12:00 today, and I can say it was a wonderful celebration of Johns life.

It was wonderful to see Olive smiling as the vicar commented on aspects of Johns very busy and active life.

Mike Davies conducted a band that played all the hymns very well, and David Davies read out a wonderful poem he wrote for John at the time when John retired as Secretary of Newport Band just 2 years ago... a very moving and fitting tribute it was too.

I would also like to say that it was lovely to see so many faces from the past, who attended the service at the church and crem, and obviously wanted to show their respects for John.

8. Olive Horton

Olive Horton New Member

Thank you John for all you have done for me in remembering John and all he has stood for. The service was very uplifting and it was lovely to see so many "old" friends of ours joining the family in celebrating John's very fruitful life. He was my rock and I will love and miss him for ever. God Bless.