Sad loss at Stanley

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by trombone-john, Mar 25, 2006.

1. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Stanley Newmarket Colliery Band regret to announce the sudden death of Band Manager Lincoln Stocks.
    Lincoln passed away in his sleep on Thursday night/Friday morning.
    Our condolences to Maureen and the family at this sad time.

Lincoln has been the driving force behind Stanley Band for many years, and will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

The funeral will be at Cottingley crematorium (Leeds) on Friday 31st March at 3.00pm.

Anyone wishing to pass on their condolences to the family, can post, PM or contact me direct.
    John Belton
  2. paddo

paddo Member

What a sad loss this is to Stanley band, he will be greatly missed by members old and current, players who over the years have helped out, and all the guys and galls that where brought up through the Stanley Workshops.

A Great loss, please accept condolences from Joanne and myslef and also The Innovate Skelmanthorpe Band.

He will be remembered by all who new him.......

Mark & Joanne
  3. flower girl

flower girl Member

i'm so sorry to hear about your loss. He was a lovely man who i'd spoken to on several occassions, please pass on my condolences to the family.

Lisa XXXX
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

A sad loss indeed, i've known Lincoln for a number of years, he's put his heart and soul into keeping Stanley band alive,

He was a man who was into banding for what he and it could give, not what he could get out.

please pass on my condolences, and those of all at Emley Brass Band.
  5. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

A true gent and great ambasador for Stanley.
    My thoughts and condolences are with Lincoln's family and the Band.
    East Riding of Yorkshire Band
  6. timbloke

timbloke Member

That is very sad news indeed, Lincoln was the type of bandsmen all bands need and this will be a great loss to the banding community in Yorkshire and beyond. I'd be grateful if SNCB coul pass on my condolences to the family.

7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Please pass my condolences on to Lincoln's family. He was a lovely guy.
  8. les

les Member

a message to Lincolns family and friends

Lincoln was along with myself, the co-founder of the stanley newmarket brass workshops. It was with shock that I read the loss of a true stalwart of the brass band movement. I conduct Ecclesborough Band and we had a comittee meeting tonight. One of the items on the agenda was player recruitment. We were looking at various ways we could recruit more players, and how to build up a training band.

I recounted to the comittee that when I lived in Leeds and played solo trombone for Yorkshire Imps in the early 1990's, I used to help out Stanley Newmarket. I mentioned that after a Job I helped them out on, their chairman who owned his own company, ran me home and mentioned starting up a brass workshop. He asked if I would co-ordinate the tuition and help develop "youngsters" into playing brass instruments.

This sounded like a good idea, but often when good ideas are thought of, they are not put into action. As soon as I said yes I would help, within 2 weeks, everything was in place. I couldn't believe how quickly it got off the ground.

Lincoln was truely a man of action. He was dedicated in trying to rejuvinate the brass band movement at grass roots by raising the profile of brass bands in the community and encouraging young players into playing a brass instrument.

I hold fond memories of Lincoln and my time at the workshops. We started with about 9 or 10 players, but when I left to start my studies at the Royal Northern College of Music, there were about 25 players. I know it is thriving and is a success today.

It is quite literally with a lump in my throat that I pass my deepest condolences to Lincolns family and all his friends. He will be remembered as someone who inspired action and energy behind any project he took on.

Les Webb
  9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm so sorry to hear of this sad sad loss. I've never met anyone who put more effort and work in to keeping a Brass Band going and his drive and commitment was second to none.

Lincoln will be sadly missed.

Please pass on my condolences to his family John.
  10. McChambo

McChambo Member

Please pass my condolences onto Lincoln's family. I am very sad to hear this news. I knew Lincoln through conducting at the Brass workshops and helping out the SNCB about 6/7 years ago. When I moved to Scotland, he would always phone me up, asking me to come back to Yorkshire! He was such a nice guy.
  11. Grezza

Grezza New Member

Deepest condolences to Lincolns family, from the tutors and students at the Stanley Brass Centre.

Brass playing, and teaching our youth the art of brass playing, was one of Lincolns passions.

Over the past 10 - 15 years, Lincoln was the driving force behind the Stanley Brass Centre (formerly Stanley Newmarket Brass Workshops) and his dedication to teaching will be missed by all.

Secretary - Stanley Brass Centre.
  12. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

Banding has lost a true enthusiast in Lincoln. His tireless work for the SNCB cause came with boundless energy, great optimism and a grin from ear to ear. And no smile bigger than when he was talking about the youngsters at the workshops…a source of enormous pride to him.

A great character and a lovely guy who will be sorely missed.

My condolences to Maureen and family.

13. Malcolm Dibb

Malcolm Dibb New Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Lincoln on a couple of occasions recently when asked to deputiseand conduct rehearsals of SNCB.
    Lincoln came across as a dedicated bandsman. I imagine from the few dealings with him and having read the tributes to him that he will be sadly missed by all who he touched.
    My thoughts are with his family and friends especially his fellow bandsman at SNCB.

Malcolm Dibb