Sad death of our own Oddbod, Keith Wardle

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by ploughboy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. BOB

BOB Member

Such sad news - will be missed by all of us at Thoresby Colliery Band. Keith was highly regarded as a gentleman and talented musician by all who knew him.

My thoughts to all his family,

Bob Craddock

2. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

Funeral arrangements

The funeral of Keith Wardle will take place at St. Mary's Church, Edwinstowe, Nr Mansfield, Notts on Wednesday the 11th June at 2:00 pm, followed by burial in the Forest Cemetery.

Keith’s wish was to have flowers from close family only. If you would like to contribute in lieu of flowers, an account has been set up to accept your donations. The “Keith Wardle Memorial Fund” will be available for you to send in to via Mr G. Cowley, 180 Fourth Avenue, Edwinstowe, Mansfield, Notts. NG21 9NS, the proceeds of which will be used to purchase a Memorial Trophy in Keith’s name with the total remainder of the money being put toward the continuing fund raising efforts of the Thoresby Youth Band.

Following the service and burial, there will be a chance to mix and mingle at the Thoresby Social Club, Fourth Avenue, Edwinstowe, where we would hope to meet attendees of the service and share a few memories and stories.

For any further details, please contact mark@smudgeproductions.com

Many thanks

Mark Wardle

3. dalizzie

dalizzie New Member

I have known Keith for over 30 years and regarded him as a true friend and inspiration.
    To say I am devastated is the understatement of the year.
    A total gentleman and a superb musician, conductor and composer.
    Thanks for your many words of encouragement over the years, your wit and talent will be missed by everyone who knew you.
    My heartfelt condolences go out to Thelma, Eric and Mark.

Dave Fretwell.

4. andyfake

andyfake Member

From the Kippax Band Website:

It is with great sadness that we mark the passing of our former conductor Keith Wardle who died, aged 50, early on Monday morning, following several months of illness. Our thoughts at this time are very much with his parents Eric and Thelma and his brother Mark, all of whom have had close connections with us over a number of years.

Keith first came to Kippax in 1992, with the band in the newly constituted 1st Section. He immediately impressed with his precise style and attention to detail, though never at the expense of making music. He was fascinated by the band’s long history and by the feats of previous conductors, such as Brian Nicholson and Tony Whittaker, who had propelled the band into the top section during the 1970s and 1980s. By the time he left in 1997, Keith had achieved his aim of putting Kippax back into the Championship Section, winning the Mineworkers’ 1st section at Blackpool along the way.

Returning in the summer of 2005, Keith found Kippax doomed to relegation to Section 2, but immediately set about stopping the rot, once again getting the band to play together and enjoy their music making. 2006-7 was a true purple patch in Kippax history, with titles at both Butlins and Pontins, as well as qualification for the National Finals, arguably cementing his position as the band’s most successful conductor ever.

Rehearsals with Keith were never dull. There was much to be learned and much to be enjoyed. Despite his reputation for laid-back, off-the-wall humour, the week before a major contest was usually “tin-hats on time” as Keith strove for nothing less than perfection – but the results speak for themselves. He genuinely cared about the music and about the players around him and consequently brought the best out of both.

Always one for the random thought or fact (his internet user name “OddBod” summed him up perfectly), Keith left this life on the same day as Bo Diddley and Yves Saint-Laurent. In Bo, he can share the journey with a fellow musical genius who trod his own path and loved his art. Yves, however, is unlikely to be impressed by the dodgy suits.

Rest in Peace, Keith. The players and supporters of the Kippax Band, past and present, owe you a huge debt of gratitude for the fun, enthusiasm and musicianship you brought into their lives.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  5. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

Andy, I'm speechless.

I speak for Mum too, when I say that our time at Kippax, were the best years of banding we had as a family.

Thank you for your words and to Kippax Band for taking to us. It's ...well, what great days.....

6. HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter Member

I never had the privilege of meeting Keith, but I know that many of our players did, and how highly respected he was. It's a terrible loss to the banding world, and our thoughts are with Eric, Thelma and Mark.

From Jeff & all the members of Welbeck Estates Brass Band.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am so saddened to hear of Keith's passing. I played under Keith at Dinnington Colliery Band and Clipstone Colliery Band. He was not only a brilliant musician and conductor but also a very likeable person who always had time for a chat. He will be sadly missed. My deepest sympathy to Eric Thelma and Mark.

George Bradbury

8. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

I first joined Kippax in 2005, Keith was MD and from the very beginning he showed me nothing but kindness and respect, I was gutted to hear the very tragic news and my sincere condolences to Thelma, Eric and Mark, I too will miss him greatly

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

My deepest sym[pathy to Keith's family

I am really saddened to hear this. Although I never met him in the flesh I read all his contributions on tMP with interest and we occasionally conversed by PM.

I had noticed his absence from tMP, but hadn't realised he was very ill.

My heartfelt condolences and prayers go to Keith's family.

10. Bit-part Bari

Bit-part Bari New Member

I heard of Keith's passing whilst on holiday last week and both Michelle and I were deeply saddened by the news.

I had the privelege of playing under Keith's direction for 7 years, in both his spells as MD at Kippax. Some of my fondest memories of banding were when Keith was at the helm and, as documented in the Kippax post, we enjoyed great success during his tenure. Keith's experience and vast knowledge were a huge help to me as a young player and I look back on our time as a band with great memories.

Rest In Peace Keith,

Lee & Michelle Fairburn
    Kippax Band

11. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

On behalf of the whole family, many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It's really heartwarming and supportive to know that Keith had so many friends through the banding world and he touched people's lives in so many different ways. Many, many thanks indeed from Eric, Thelma, myself,and my two, Ben and Joanne.

We are expecting tomorrow to be quite well attended, if you are struggling to park, please use the Royal Oak Pub's car park on the crossroads adjacent to the church, I have arranged this with the landlord (John Wilson), who is a friend of mine and there will be no problems. If you have any questions and want to email me, please do so as shown below.

Once again, many thanks.

Mark Wardle
    mark@smudgeproductions.com

12. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

Keith Wardle
    1957 - 2008

The family of Keith Wardle was overwhelmed at the attendance to Keith's funeral recently. Over 300 people gathered at St Mary's Church in Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire. Among them, representatives from 15 bands.

The Thoresby Colliery Band were outstanding as they played music from Keith’s own Millennium Suite, composed for the 2000 millennium pageant celebrations in his home-village, Edwinstowe.

Stan Lippeatt’s thoughtful gesture was for Mark Wardle to conduct Thoresby on this occasion. Along with Ian McCormick, Stan performed Mark’s sensitive duet arrangement of “The Prayer” from Disney’s “Quest for Camelot”, which followed an emotional delivery by Simon Willis of Benjamin Godard's “Berceuse from Jocelyn”, (''Angels Guard Thee'') chosen by the family. This was Keith’s debut TV performance as a soloist in 1975. The performances were welcomed with warm applause.

Thoughtful, sensitive and sometimes humorous eulogies were delivered by Malcolm Bevan and Stan Lippeatt, to whom the family owe a great debt of thanks.

Following the burial in Edwinstowe Forest Cemetery, the mourners, bandsmen and women enjoyed each other’s company over refreshments at the Thoresby Social Club. Many stories and memories were shared between those in attendance; it was indeed mentioned and referred to as something so similar to that of a gathering of the players on contest day! Keith’s funeral was a celebration of his life and gave thanks for all he left us.

Thelma, Eric, Mark, Ben and Joanne wish to thank everyone who attended Keith's funeral, also for the many messages of sympathy received and for donations passed to George and Elsie Cowley for 'The Keith Wardle Memorial' Fund.

The Wardle Family.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have just heard the sad news about Keith, I used to work with him at Procare Cleaning Management when it was based in Tideswell Derbyshire. My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP Keith xxx