Sack the Swede

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chris Sanders, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

The formation is great, I have no problem with the formation, it needs time for the players to become adapted.

But bringing SWP off for Cole, that is making a change for changings sake. He should have taken of a defender and played Rooney and Owen upfront with Cole on the left. Our defence was only a problem on two occasions, one was punished for, the other was inches away.

If we had more options up front we would have had that equaliser or possibly the extra goal to win 2-1.

Not a happy chappy :mad:
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Sack him? No way! Should be given an honorary knighthood!
  3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Maybe you should change the thread title, it makes it sound like you like him a lot more than you should :rolleyes:
  4. Chris Sanders

Ha, he's a joke, he's not good enough to manage players of that calibre, he's obviously not got it in him...
  5. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

And here starts Chris' capaign to get Sven sacked!
  6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

LMAO :biggrin:
  7. Chris Sanders

Yup, make it an online petition... :D
  8. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Which, of course, will never happen - and in my opinion quite rightly.

This is the first qualifying match England have lost under Eriksson. That is no record to just get rid of the manager.

IMHO, tonight, there were three turning points.

Firstly, taking Wright-Phillips off and putting Joe Cole on. Please. SWP was the only person getting behind the defence. He had speed and skill and could have caused untold problems in the second half given the chance. It is true that his endeavours didn't produce much but he was the one person the defence feared.

Secondly, Rooney. Quality player he undoubtedly is, but you could just see the whole team suddenly become edgy after his set-to with the referee and his booking. When is this thug going to learn you just cannot take on the whole opposition team, the officials and, tonight, some of your own team-mates. He should have been hauled off as soon as the red mist descended.

Thirdly, Owen Hargreaves. How does he get in to the international team. His ball control is rubbish, his tackling is rubbish, his shooting is rubbish and his passing is rubbish. And I'm not just talking about tonight.

I'm very sad tonight because the team England had on the pitch tonight read quality and there was only one person left on the pitch at the end that had quality. Beckham.

Well done the Irish, they wanted it more than England tonight. Not sure they deserved it on possession and chances but if you can't service your strikers you're not going to score. Englands problem tonight.
  9. Steve

Steve Active Member

Course he deserves the sack. Any other high profile job and a c**k up that size would cost you your job.

Hopeless tonight im afraid
  10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

It's not that often that us Scots get a chance to have a double celebration so I'm well happy tonight. Look on the bright side, if we both finish second in our groups then the fates will conspire to have a Scotland-England playoff and you'll stuff us. :)
  11. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

What nonsense :rolleyes::rolleyes:
  12. Steve

Steve Active Member

I have been a big defender of Sven since he took the job but this was the final straw. All these years of substitutions in freindlies appear to have taught him nothing. This wasnt just a bad result, it was an embarrasment. The players didnt have a clue what was going on and his use of replacements was a joke. He cant be defended after this, football managers on a lot less money have lost their jobs for a lot less.

p.s A big well done N.Ireland and Scotland
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

My enduring memory of that game will be of david beckham looking at the england bench, arms out, shoulders hunched in that age old gesture of "What on earth...?" I haven't seen a tactical shambles like that since Keegan quit. And at least he could motivate players even if he only had one plan. (Which didn't work)

If the players don't know what their roles are, how can they be expected to fill them? They ALL play 4-4-2 at club level and it works. Eriksson played 4-4-2 every game before this last week and it worked. Why change it?

1) Backham cannot play deep midfield, because he can't tackle or head. Move him up.

2) Rooney is not an outside forward, nor a left winger. And he needs anger management classes. Put him in the middle, behind the front man.

3) Ashley cole is eminently capable of providing width on the left. Making an outside forward unecessary.

4) SWP does an admirable job on the right, allowing Lampard and Beckham to focus on distribution and pushing on.

5) Leave the midfield enforcement to Stevie G, that's his main ability. Sit him in front of the back four and have him crunch anyone who looks like scoring, then pass to beckham.

6) Sack Eriksson and give steve McLaren the job. He was doing most of the work correcting eriksson's massive tactical blunders tonight anyway!!

Fit the system to the players, not vice versa.
  14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think Sandman just wants Jose and his Amazing Techinicolour Overcoats on the bench instead of Sven ;)

....actually...not a bad idea!
  15. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

The Swede maybe mostly to blame, but for the last 4 years from just about everyone i have heard phrases like

'' with all our world class players''
    '' with this team we can do anything''
    '' the best group of players this country has ever produced''

It is about time it was realised that these statements are incorrect as backed up by the quality of performances England have produced. If the players are so good as quoted we wouldn't be in this mess would we. The media / pundit hype is half the problem. When was the last truly great England performance?

I'm sure some of you will come back saying no no no ......Stevie Gerrard Frank Lampard Michael Owen et all are world class players, wheres your proof on the international stage then?

As said taking SWP off was so predictable as was bringing OH on thats the problem with Sven 1-0 down struggling the top premiership scorer on the bench and Owen Hargreaves comes on.

Remove Sven and Maclaren and start picking players who want to play for their country wherever they play their football.
  16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Firstly I did not see (thanksfully) last nights game. However I have to be honest and put my foot in the sack the swede camp.

When he took the job on I was not impressed that we had to have an overseas coach, but was prepared to see how it went.

I was very much one to support him, however it is now becoming painfully obvious he does not know his best team, he does not know what tactics to play and he obviously is afraid to drop players who the media consider to be Englands best.

Thanks Sven, it was good while it lasted, but we need some positivity and passion not a non committed, passive, gutless coach.

The problem of course then comes, who to replace him with. Now there is another debate...
  17. Chris Sanders

Replace him with anyone, he's useless.

I am told that he wont be sacked because it is in his contract that he will get a £4m payout in such circumstances, I dont know how true this is?

Id replace him with Big Sam now, giving him time to settle in before next year. Im sure he'd leave Wanderers for an international job.
  18. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

And there was me thinking we had a thread about a big bag of vegetables.....

probably would have bin more entertaining!
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... would you take on Berti Vogts? :rolleyes:
  20. Chris Sanders

Id even take on Mike Bassett given the opportunity...