Sack or Back?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BigHorn, Feb 4, 2009.

Back or Sack

1. Back

30 vote(s)
  2. Sack

9 vote(s)
  1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Not withstanding she is the spawn of the devil....

Should Carol thatcher be vilified for saying (in a private conversation) that a tennis player reminded her of one of the Robertson Jam golliwogs from her childhood?
  2. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

It obviously wasn't a private conversation though was it? Seeing as how everyone now knows! If she has those views then that's her prerogative, however, she ought to be more careful about when she airs them...and to WHO she airs them.

I don't agree with racism in any fashion, and have actually just been involved in a similar issue with a child at my son's school...even though it didn't affect my son, he overheard a racist comment and told me about I raised it with the school and thankfully they have dealt with it swiftly and appropriately.

However - just because I don't agree with any form of discrimination (beit racisim, agism, sexism - whatever), doesn't mean that EVERYONE has to disagree with it. Everyone is entitled to their own views on these matters....the issue is whether they should air them, and if they are going to air them, do they deserve to be villified.

I would say that on principle, Carol Thatcher, being a public figure has been very stupid, and should therefore be admonished for that. She can have those views if she likes, but being a public figure holds some responsibility, and those in that position HAVE to watch what they say.
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The point is it was a private conversation - she didn't 'Air' them as you suggest. Somebody overheard and reported her and she has lost her job. Can you really construe anything about her views if she was just innocently saying the person reminded her of a well known cartoon character from her childhood?.
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

She said something in a closed room with only two other people present! One of them, Adrian Chiles, complained. He has gone down in my eyes now. What is said in private should stay that, private. Freedom of speech is still supposed to exist. They suspended Jonathon Ross for being offensive on Air, but sack Carol Thatcher for saying something in private? Ridiculous.

And that tennis player does look like a gollywog, it's not racist, we all know what a gollywog looks like and it makes a discription of him simple. People need to lighten up.

Edited because I forgot to say Sack her!! She has the most annoying voice.
  5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member wasn't private...if it was private then no-one would know about it. How do we know that the person she said it to didn't report it? As far as I can tell she was overheard in the green room of the One it wasn't a case of two people in a room on their own having a private conversation.....she said it clearly enough to be overheard by another person OR the person she was speaking to reported her.....either way it wasn't private.

And her comments that it was just a 'silly joke' are naive, and ignorant actually. Many many many people have used the 'it was a silly joke - I didn't mean it to be racist' point of view, to justify out-dated and offensive language.

Like I say - I think it says more about HER that when talking about a world class tennis player, all she could remark was that he reminded her of a golliwog.....what about his tennis playing ability? What about whether he'd played well in that match? What about NOT remarking on his appearance at all?

As a public figure, she should be more careful about what she is saying, and where she is saying it, and who she is saying it to.
  6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Also - even if you still hold the view that it was a private conversation - well if someone said a comment like that to me in a private conversation - then I'd still feel uncomfortable and MAY report them - whether it was a 'private' conversation or not.

Golliwogs may be seen as a harmless childhood cartoon figure to some, but I know of many of my friends who were called 'Golliwog' as children and believe me when I say, they don't see it the same way. It was used as a racist term in the 70's and 80's when I was at school...and some people still use it in that way nowadays.
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

If we ever meet remind me not to speak to you. Too risky
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I've missed this, but can't think of any human being that really looks like a golliwog. Which tennis player was it?

I can't say I'm surprised that someone like Carol Thatcher would be so insensitive, she hasn't lived in the real world her entire life. On the other hand, I think Adrian Chiles is a sanctimonious gimp, a view only strengthened by watching the One Show debate religion last night.
  9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

So would you object if i called my daughter a little monkey??
    eg, oi you little monkey stop doing that!
    would i be wrong? should i know be castigated for calling her this?
    for me, this is more of the pc brigade!!!!!!!!
  10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Having tried to find out a bit more and considered things, she's clearly a moron, so I'd sack her. The bloke's black and has big hair, therefore he looks like a Golliwog? That's just ridiculously ignorant, even before you include the severely negative history associated with the term. You might as well claim someone looks like a black and white minstrel.

If Carol Thatcher doesn't realise how offensive that is, then she's a liability to have on TV. I'm not sure if the One Show goes out live or not, but if her saying something like that got broadcast, the BBC would be in for a ****storm.
  11. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The only one I know with wild curly hair is Andy Murray ;) OOps have I just upset all Scottish people.
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

No, you've not. I was thinking more early 80's McEnroe as the tennis player in question. :)
  13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Another recent typical example when something is blown right out of proportion of political correctness. It was in private conversation, I say it in private conversation all the time. It just happened to be the wrong place, wrong time.

Why can't people laugh at themselves. I have a mate from Kenya and I call him things like that and he does the say to me. People need to lighten up!!

Remember Rising Damp!! How many people complained then??
  14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

1) Your mate might be fine with it, but the tennis player in question doesn't know Ms Thatcher (as far as I know) and it's not something you should presume is ok. If you say it in private conversation all the time, I wouldn't hire you to appear on a TV show with a conversational nature.

2) Rising Damp was written to mock the racist attitudes of the time. I don't see how people still don't get that.
  15. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Are we now subject to the thought police? where every little thing we do and say is reported and scrutinised?. Yes it was a stupid thing to say, however it reflects more on her upbringing and ignorance than whether or not it's racist. A lot of what poeple say ( taken out of context ) can be taken as offensive and/or racist and most of the time it is never meant as such. Were it me in the room I tell her she's stupid and tell her why and leave it that, not go whining to the boss and get her sacked, to me it smacks of someone taking a personal dislike to someone and finding a way to make their lives miserable more than it does of someone crusading against racism.
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Or maybe he's trying to protect his show from some ignorant blatherer who, if that's the kind of thing she thinks is ok, is an incident waiting to happen.

As I said before, I don't like Adrian Chiles, and I'm sure part of it was that he was the kid at school who would tell on everyone, but there's a serious issue there for a broadcaster.
  18. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

And there I was thinking this thread was about waxing......
  19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Nice one :biggrin:

Adrian Chiles should have aired his view to her in private rather than going behind her back. There's no need for it. Unless he was looking for an excuse to get rid of her............
  20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Seems a bit harsh if it was said in a private conversation, but having watched some of Ms. Thatcher's "contributions" over the last few months I'd speculate that this was just being used as an excuse to bin her...