SA xmas cd?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Red Elvis, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Browsing through HMV this pm I picked up a two cd recording called "The Salvation Army;The Joy of Christmas". Details here

First CD of the two sounds ok , all fairly solid but the second slightly less so , to say the least. Any ideas out there in tmp (SA bit) land as to who recorded it ?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is this the same album that has been recently selling in the SA charity shops for £1.99? Recording sounded quite recent! :dunno
  3. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I bought this last year Phil. The 2nd disc is definitely of a lesser recording quality. Sounds like it was done in a village hall.
  4. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Aye , very boomy sound on second disc and , with the greatest respect to whoever it was , not the best band I've heard . Still , it was only £4:00
  5. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

The first disc has the same playlist, albeit in a different order, to "Christmas Festival In Brass", first recorded by the ISB in 1974 (I played on that) and reissued by EMI in 1997.

I know nothing about the second disc.
  6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I agree with Brian, the first CD is certainly the ISB recording from 1974 but the other one is a mystery to me too.
  7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Thats the main reason I bought the disc.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Several of the titles on the second disc appear on a Castle Music compilation cd entitled "Christmas Joy" by Wrexham Band recorded on location by Gordon Lorenz, and it seems the sort of mixture he would put together.
  9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I do wish CD makers would put complete correct details on CD covers. there has been a CD on sale over here and it is described as played by the South Brisbane temple Band. It is ther same compilation as an earlier recording made by Brisbane City Temple Band of the Salvation Army, I beleive it to be the actual recording made by Brisbane City Temple. Some people I know have bought it thinking it is somthing new only to find they have 2 copies of the same recording.
  10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

above post should have read South Brisbane Federal Band, which to my knowledge does not exist.