SA Territorial music School (from Best Baritone thread!)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jules Cornet, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

I spotted euphonium virtouso Derick Kane playing 2nd Baritone with The Salvation Army Territorial Music School 'A' Band last night, so perhaps he deserves a nomination!

Jules Cornet

2. Razor

Razor Member

Would the inclusion of DK in the 'A' band indicate a lack of Euph/Bari players at TSM this year? Always seemed to be bass players when I went!!

How did the festival go in general?

Two of my banding colleagues(and tMP'rs) are attending again this year, both I believe are playing in DK's band so be interested to hear how they played.

3. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

There were less students this year resulting in 2 equal ability bands led by Derick Kane and Alan Losh with an additional A Band made up of the best players.

Bass, baritone, and euphonium players were in short supply as were cornet players to a certain extent. Seemed to be an abundance of quality in the Flugel and Bass Trombone departments, with some good quality and strength in depth from horns and percussion.

The two bands played very tidily without overstretching themselves musically, (DK band, Cairo Red Shield, Tomano Del Morno, Procession to Covenant ; AL Band, To A God Like This, All to Jesus, Canadian Folk Song Suite) whilst the 'A' Band rattled through Toccata in D and then Dean Jones' fine work Glorifico Aeternum. (being confined to 2nd baritone didn't preclude Derick finishing one piece on a super 'f' above top 'c')

Regular TMPers will be interested to know that 'Beard 4b' (him with the fetish for Golden Slippers) was bumper up to Matthew Cobb in the 'A' Band, and Johnflugel was also in the 'A' Band.

Jules Cornet

PS - Sorry for those who are not salvationists, this is information about the Salvation Army's Territorial Music School currently being held at Worksop College. Brass and vocal musicians aged 16 -25 from all over the UK (and 2 from the Congo!) for a week of tuition together. Mid week Concert last night. Final Festival in Sheffield on Saturday 31st July

4. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

Do you know if Andy Newell is playing (trombone), off topic I know but he could be the 2nd trombone player with the nicest sound (and impeccable intonation), pleasure to sit next to. Might try to catch him in Sheffield on sat if he's there?

5. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

Yes, he was playing 1st trombone in the 'A' Band, along with Jon Baker on 2nd and David Lockwood from the Welsh Guards on Bass Trombone.

Jules Cornet

6. deave

deave Member

Also, impeccable hair style!!!

7. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

Impeccable trouser style too if I remember the half mast stage trousers he borrowed at the masters one year?!?

8. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Aww, Andy Newell, what a class guy!

Mr Jinx - "They weren't too bad in the looks department either!!!!!!!!!!!
    p.s feel free to pm me anytime boys."

I have to agree with that, I think Kirtsy will too! :wink:

Jayne

9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

TMS was a good week.

Andy Newell was indeed very popular with the girlies and won the Coveted 'World Cup Men' award as voted for by the girlies themseleves. I was suicidal after a second round exit to Dean 'Glorifico' Jones :(

Derick Kane turned out to be a decent 2nd bari in the end. After a nervy start where his inexperience showed, he grew into the chair...a star of the future maybe :wink: Also, worth mentioning that Kevin Ashman made a very able 5th man too, his ability to produce super c quavers at ppp was especially funny :lol:

Thanks to Jules for his kind comments about Flugel quality, cheque is in the post. Good to see Beard4b there too....what a good guy and throughly decent player....he only mentioned 'Slippers' once but displayed a slightly more worrying fetish for Lemon Juice...don't ask!

We were short in the bass department but the chaps did a good job considering. Euphs and Baris were pretty good though - Chris Marklew from Coventry was the end man again and was great in 'My Strength, My Tower' and 'Moley' Smith was a good bumper up with wicked vib!!! A Youngster from Winton was solo baritone assisted by Dean and Derick.

10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

And there was me thinking this was a " Best Baritone " thread!!!!!! :shock:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    music School
    Derick Kane
    SA Territorial
    thread
    2nd Baritone
  12. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member