SA Classics used as Own Choice pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Norman Short, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Norman Short

Norman Short New Member

For the last three years I have been conducting Yagoona District Band, in Sydney, NSW Australia. They have progessed from D Grade State Champions in '05 to National Champions in D Grade in '06. At Easter , they will be competing at the nats in C Grade.
    On my "short List" for the Own Choice is The Kingdom Triumphant. Any thoughts re it's positioning in our Grading of D Grade up to A Grade for Australia. We don't have a championship Section down under. Regards Norman

2. TUBBYTHEBASS

TUBBYTHEBASS Member

Always Thought On Radcliff Highway Would Be A Good Test Piece .what Section It Would Be For Would Be Interesting

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have played Variations On Macabeaus in a first section contest about 7 years ago own choice a brilliant piece for 1st section bands and would make a good area test piece as well

4. Owen S

Owen S Member

It's a great piece, and we've played it at several of our Christmas concerts, including this year, but on the YBS Essays for Brass recording it's only 8:15 long. Is that long enough for an own-choice test piece?

5. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

St.Magnus would be a great one for a test piece,especially near the end of that song. 14 minutes long as well.

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yeah - a pity it's never been used.

:cool:

7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Errmmmm....... :oops:

Great idea!!!........ Surprised no-ones thought of that before! ;)

I think Isaiah 40 might work quite well too, maybe in the championship section.....!

8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

"Odyssey" and "Purcell Variations" would also be good choices, IMO ;)

9. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Enough of teasing Ryan06 (in a friendly way) and back on topic:

At the Wilkinsons Northern Open in 2003, bands in all sections where allowed to play any piece of their own choice from the music of Eric Ball, and, as I remember, at least one 2nd section band played "The Kingdom Triumphant", if that is any guide.

10. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

'King of Heaven' would be a good choice.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    C Grade.
    D
    Australia
    Own Choice
    The Kingdom Triumphant
  12. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think "Glorifico Aeternum" might be a good one (if you are looking for a Sali Army piece)

13. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

thats a great song! we play it in band over here...were actually thinking about playing that when we go to Chicago. Its a great piece.

14. no2taz

no2taz Member

Songs of the morning is a good one too

15. SallyArmyBando

SallyArmyBando New Member

How about Supremacy? An amazing piece of music.

16. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Ok I know this thread is 2 years old but this is a question I have tackled at home and now is a good chance the put them down.

Not Strictly a SA piece but Pilgrims Progess by Rodney Newton would be good.

I think The Dawning would be good too. The Present Age is just about the most popular of major works with SA players at the moment. I must admit I am a great fan too. Not sure about Grading for either of those. Both would make a really good contest for any listener. Other Leslie Condon Stuff you could consider Faith Reborn (maybe a bit on the Short side), Easter Glory is a possible. Song of the Eternal which has been popular recently maybe as well, I think Festivity would possibly a lovely test in perhaps 1st Section will probably need augmenting however.

Now, R.S.A. there's Ratcliff Highway which has been mentioned I agree would make a fab test piece. I hated it as a kid, thought it was too wacky but I think its genius these days. I think Daystar may look good. The Essence of Time I think it is called would probably make a decent test piece. I like the first movement, it's another take on the St Magnus Tune. The Holy War is long enough and the Intro is very special, biggest problem with RSA major works is that my mind wanders when I hear them I don't stay captured by the music.

Ken Downie is probably the best Place to find suitable test piece material. Music of Thankgiving is good. But also there is Princethorpe Variations, Pilgrims, Victory, and Music for a Joyful Occasion all of which have not been mentioned. But again with some of his work I can be a 'Happy wanderer'. This is not to say I dislike either KD or RSAs work it is stunning in its structure and there are passages that just blow the mind. Its just the bars inbetween just aren't to my taste.

To be perfectly honest Grading many of these is another question. Until very recently most SA mojor works were never written with Competition in mind. Hence this has meant some SA pieces having material added. Odyssey, My Strength My tower and Laudate Dominium all getting augmentation to the original score in the last few years.

Well I have said alot and have yet to discuss several other major army composers and other compositions from lesser known composers ,but I could talk on this subject all day. So I'll shut up.

(You're probably thinking I should be at the Army this morning but I'm not feeling so good so sat at the laptop while Wifey takes the young ones).

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Played this at National Finals in 1st section 2007.
    Great piece to play and also very audience freindly as well.:clap:

18. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I think you mean "At the Edge of Time".

19. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Thats the one! I knew it was not right when I wrote it thank you for the correction. My pops has an LP of Camberwell SA Band from Australia playing it. I think it was written for them.

Thank You!

20. David Chaulk

David Chaulk New Member

The Present Age, Ratcliffe Highway and Rhapsody on St. Aelred (Brenton Broadstock) have all been used as Own Choices in the New Zealand B Grade (1st Section). Princethorpe was the B Grade test in 2004. This year, The Call of the Righteous was the Aussie D Grade (4th Section) test .

21. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I played "Romans 8 a Brass celebration" as a test own choice in South Street contest in Ballarat a few years Back with Bayside Brass from Geelong.
    What a peice.

Was as a B Grade Band.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    C Grade.
    D
    Australia
    Own Choice
    The Kingdom Triumphant