SA Advertising for Players

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anonymous_user, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Anyone else notice the ad in this week's Bandsman from The Salvation Army, Stockport Heaton Norris looking for players?

Duties - Sunday morning service and Thursday evening rehearsal. No mention of signing the pledge or having to be a soldier.

Have the SA relaxed their Rules & Regs? :sup Or have I just misunderstood?

Ros

2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Just the logical extension of the borrowing rule for contests! Most bands seem to be struggling at the moment, so there's no reason SA bands are immune.

3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Could it be that this is what's termed a "worship" band as opposed to the uniformed bands we all think off???

4. Anonymous_user

Thought you had to a soldier and a commissioned bandsperson though.

5. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

I think that has changed if it's designated a worship band....anybody on here upto date with SA regs???

6. Anonymous_user

It didn't mention worship band in the ad. Just asked are you a brass player? As I said maybe I just misunderstood the ad.

Ros

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As I read it, it's just along the lines of adverts that appear in SA publications trying to encourage students etc to a particular corps. I think they are taking it as read that those seeing the advert will be aware of the requirements regarding membership of an SA band, and are just looking to get people to consider Heaton Norris rather than automatically opting for one of the larger centres in the area, such as Stockport Citadel or Sale.

(Incidentally, I first met Dudley Bright at Heaton Norris: I was there for a week during the Annual Appeal, and he was playing in the band whilst Principal Trombone with the Halle.)

8. T Winch

T Winch Member

I recently attended a dedication (christening) at a north-west corps and was surprised to see non-uniformed non-comissioned people playing in the band and singing in the songsters. I don 't know if this means the regulations have changed or if certain corps apply their own interpretation of them.

9. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Think you will find that there are a number of corps in the SA who now allow non-soldiers to play in their musical sections. Bring it on I say. My fiancee is a fine fine trombone player and an adherent member but does not wish to become a soldier. However she has gifts which she wants to offer to the Lord and can't do so at the corps we worship at. Think she should be able to.

10. T Winch

T Winch Member

A good point well made! I was thinking more along the lines of the SA lowering their standards but put like that, I think it's something they should look at if it's a choice between allowing non-comissioned members or losing them to other churches. Can't see it working at some corps though (you know the ones I mean ;)).

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    SA
    The Salvation Army
    SA Advertising
    Bandsman
    Stockport Heaton Norris
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Amen to that, if you pardon the lame pun. No religion or religious group should exclude anyone wanting to take part and I think what you've described is an excellent example of that.

13. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

From my own experience i know for a fact that this happens .My brother plays in an SA Band on a sunday (He doesnt wear uniform but is technically still a soldier and bandsman) but can only do this because its a small Corp, and would no way get away with it at the Corp he previously attended.

Still, as he says, its better he does this than doesnt bother going at all.

Well - thats one side of the argument anyway! :wink:

14. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Yep can confirm that me and my partner both enjoy rehearsing with an SA band without being soldiers, we have yet to be invited to play at services but this will come in time i'm sure.

At first we weren't certain if everyone in the band would approve but we needn't have been concerned on that score.

15. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

I will personally look into this and respond to this within the next few hours

16. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

Having thought about this why should we as the SA stop people coming into our CHURCH (WHICH IT IS) and worshiping in their own way?

17. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

But do they then wear the cloth...or not??

18. GordonH

GordonH Member

I have played in an SA band before and I am not a Salvationist, I knew people in the band and was often asked to help out.

19. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

Come on lets move on and forget the uniform. There is more to the music in the Salvation Army than performance and looking good in our festival tunics.

Take away the uniform, the bands, the songsters, and would anyone be left? I hope so, because I hope the SA still has many many people who are filled with the correct reasons as to why they are there.

20. Anonymous_user

Rosolino didn't say he was trying to stop them, the more the merrier probably. He just asked if the rules & regs had been relaxed as in having to be a soldier and commissioned bandsman/woman before playing in the band.

There was a thread running recently about salvationists and the demon drink in which a lot was said about living up to what had been signed. if people are encouraged to play in the band without signing the pledge (which is not only about alcohol) where does that leave those who have. Cake and eat it spring to mind.

Frankie

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  21. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

Crikey ! If they are getting that short they might ask me back after 'firing me off' a few years ago !
    I will however, I will have to start practising my right arm movement because there are a few serious drinkers in some of the SA bands I know.
    Advertising for players, whatever can be next ?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    SA
    The Salvation Army
    SA Advertising
    Bandsman
    Stockport Heaton Norris