Russlan and Co...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Straightmute, May 21, 2004.

1. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Here's a real test of the power of tMP.

Just Music list five arrangements of Glinka's Russlan and Ludmilla overture by:

a) Snell,
    b) Parkes,
    c) Roberts,
    d) Duncan, and
    e) Wilkinson

I'd like to find out which is the best for a programme of Russian music we will present later this year.

I know the Parkes version quite well: a good arrangement in the key of F but all presented in spidery handwriting with a very much abbreviated score. I've seen other arrangements in D which don't seem to work so well.

So can anyone tell me (1) the key of these arrangements, (2) if any of them present unnecessary complexities of transcription (think Les Preludes...) and (3) any other issues, such as the standard of publication/production, which might help me arrive at a good decision.

2. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I suppose the Snell would be quite hard, but musically quite satisfying. Andy Duncan would be a nice solid arrangement. Parkes' is very good, but like you said, abbreviated and in poor writing. Not sure about the others... Only played the Parkes arrangement before.
  3. Razor

Razor Member

There's also an arrangement by Michael Kenyon that the SA have.

Pretty sure it's still only available as a handwritten manuscript photocopy though.
  4. Cornetto

Cornetto Member

I've played a version by Walter Hargreaves which is damn good. Not sure if that helps but it was fairly comfortable to play.

Think I'm about to pass out (severly drunk) so apologies for anything useless that I may have just said... (forgive me I am a student after all)
  5. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I agree with Nick, go for the Hargreaves one! 8)
  6. Straightmute

Yes, I've played the Hargreaves arrangement too in the dim and distant past but it doesn't seem to be available any more. Am I correct in thinking it is in F rather than D???

Thanks for the advice so far...

7. Active Member

Partly correct. It's not published in a journal although someone in the music department did re-originate it from the hand-written arrangement a few years ago.
    No plans to publish it. I'm led to believe that Michael Kenyon was not entirely happy with this particular transcription.
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We've got the Snell version - it's not too difficult. I can't remember what key it's in (have an idea it's in F for Bb instruments) - I think it's still out in our folders so I'll have a look later tonight and post it up here if no-one beats me to it.

One problem it's that it's written in "Snell Script" :shock: ie very spidery writing, so it's not the easiest piece to read. The flugel part has a bit of a wicked turn over and one bar written right at the end of the top line of the next page. Took me ages to find out why I kept getting a bar ahead :roll:

I did read somewhere that he is gradually working though his catalogue and getting the parts properly printed so he may have already done this one.

Hope this helps in some way.....
  9. Cornetto

Cornetto Member

Wow I don't remember writing that... how are there no spelling/typing errors? Anyway...

Yes the Hargreaves arrangement is very good, it may be in the Wright & Round archive section but don't quote me on that. Yeah I think it was in F, which made all the scales very easy (just waggle first valve).
  10. Straightmute

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thanks - I'll have a dig around.

11. Highams

Highams Member

12. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Exactly. not played it, but probably done for Desford or BBS, so almost certainly quite hard (like Iain said) but well written all the same.
  13. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I've played the Snell version - is very good except ours was in "Snell-script" and was bl***y difficult to read. However, quite a few of Howard's orchestral transcriptions have been typeset by Kirklees, so you might want to look there.
  14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

As promised I've dug out my part for it (complete with "ITS HERE" written in big letters over that bar I mentioned before!) Looks like its in C so easy(ish) runs etc. It's quite a good arrangement but the only problem (apart from the typesetting, or lack of it) is that the key puts it a bit low in the Bb register - so getting clarity around bottom C's D's & E's is tricky. Should be no problem for the players of Harrogate though :wink:

I've tried to hunt around for Howard Snell's website but can't seem to find it, but I have looked on Kirklees' website, who distribute Rakeway's stuff it's been given a proper catalouge number but I'm not sure if that means its been re-published :? Anyway the link is
  15. Phill

Phill New Member

One of my bands is currently playing the Parkes arrangement - thank goodness one of our bandies took some time off work to copy the parts into Sibelius and now we have readable parts! Though we found many discrepencies between scores and parts of the originals...

Fun piece - hard moments for some....