Rules of the Game: Rule 12

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by andywooler, Apr 21, 2007.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

According to Rule 12

"
    An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee:
    prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands

Whilst I am not a great ManU fan, Solsjaer did NOT prevent the keeper from releasing the ball as he clearly got it after it was out of his hands.
    Listening to MOTD tonight, the argument presented by Alan Shearer seemed to relate to Rule 16, Goal kicks, where the concept of the ball being in or out of play comes in.
    So, why the yellow card and disallowing of the goal?

Any refs on here care to comment?

We didn't need any help from the ref at The Academy today - the toffees were well and truly chewed today!

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

And BBC Sports online say it was for unsporting behaviour: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6555247.stm

But hey ho - it was Man Ure - so who cares? ;)

As an aside Andy, what exactly was the situation with Masch the Monster at Upton Park? Cos having seen his displays for Liverpool since signing, I'm so confused as to how such an outstanding midfielder couldn't get into the West Ham first eleven (no disrespect intented to the hammers btw)

3. andywooler

So it would appear that if the ref doesn't like the colour of your shirt, then the unsporting behaviour rule can be used to to card you for things that are not covered in the rule book it would seem!

As for Maschareno, no-one knows why we rarely played him apart from Pardew & Curbishley - the latter still insists on playing the hopeless Boa Morte so clearly doesn't know what real talent looks like!! :)

4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

They also on MOTD explained that the act of releasing the ball from the hands is not complete until the ball has been kicked. Therefore the decision was correct. What's more, this has happened several times in recent years and every time the striker has been panalised. Most recent prior to this incident was Thierry Henry I think.

5. andywooler

They may well have said that but I have looked through the rule book and it's not mentioned there at all in my son's copy. The only mention of the concept of the ball not being in play relates to a goal kick which this wasn't. Any other refs on here got a more up to date copy which includes that?