rules in Scotland

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tuba jim, Mar 2, 2009.

1. tuba jim

tuba jim New Member

has any one heard anything about new rules in Scotland
  2. Col

Col Member

Yep a pint will cost the minimum of £20. It was on the news yesterday.
  3. Yam681B

Yam681B New Member

Yes - SBBA recently issued new contest rules. Not sure if the updated version is on their website but you can contact their secretary to check. As far as I know all band secretaries have received a copy.
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I haven't got round to updating the website yet.
  5. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Are there any significant changes?
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Off the top of my head the two most significant changes are the adoption of a new grading system and allowing players to guest twice for the same band in any given year rather than the current single appearance.
  7. tuba jim

tuba jim New Member

so how does this new system differ from the old system apart from the changing of the points awarded
  8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not at all, all other rules still apply as they did before.

The idea is that a band most recent result becomes more important in their grading than one achieved three years ago, which may in itself only be an average placing.
  9. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Had a look at this the other night and can honestly say........ EH???? Passed the link to a couple of people in my band and the general concensus is that its in Hebrew or Sanskrit cos it makes nae sense at all. Is it that the hope is nobody will understand it so we can't complain? :dunno

Knock yourselves out and let me know if anyone gets any of this..... maybe as a collective we can figure it out?:confused:

another treat for the Plain english Brigade????
  10. McChambo

McChambo Member

Come on Di! Even I understand this.............

It only affects the relegation process. Two bands still go up automatically. The only problem remaining is that of the bands who don't attend the contest. What happens to these bands?
  11. bbg

bbg Member

Had a look, and would agree that it only affects relegation. In our own case, we had an "average" going into last year, then 7th on the day so carrying 13.5...........if we finish, for instance, 6th this year that'll be 3.25 + 7 + 12 = 22.25 as opposed to 6.5 + 7 + 6 = 19.5..........which really still means the square root of sod all right now as it depends on how other bands around us fare, as always! As far as i am aware, only in Scotland are the top tw automatically promoted, so why not extend the regrading system to treat promotions / relegations evenly? I say this in the full knowledge that my own band benefited from the current setup having finished 7th in the 3rd Section three years in a row , then one good performance saw us 2nd and promoted. It's crazy really that as things stand, we are half an hour's playing away from Championship Section, away above our real standard - two decent performances this month and next March would do it, regardless of what we do all the rest of the time.
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Under these rules it would make it harder for a band to stay up if they did not attend a contest. I'll admit that there is still a possibility but with a 2 point gap between placings for the most recent contest, rather than 1 it'll make it harder for non-attendees.
  13. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

:dunnoNope.... still lost! Far too mathematical for me!!!! Mind you at least I know I'm not alone, cos your mrs and our esteemed trombone god don't get it either. Just as well I'm all about the banding and nowt about the politics!!!;)
  14. Uncle Bryn

Uncle Bryn Member

It's definitely fairer but I'll let the boffins work out what's what!
  15. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Lets put it this way Di. If this system had been in place then Dalkieth wouldn't have been relegated 2 years ago. :)

See you next Sunday and best of luck. I've picked you in the sweep. :)
  16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Shame we'll be playing on Saturday!! :roll: Although me and him might see u this sunday cos we might trek up to the Fife thingy! If I hear the test pieces then, then I'll not have to go to the rest of the contest!!!!;)