Rules 22 and 23...Bad Boys of Brass...

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Mesmerist, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

So...When these are enforced by our esteemed Contest Manangement how bad do WE the players think the offence should be before Disqualification is threatened?

Does the action of an MD taking a photograph (before the performance) warrant a warning letter?
    Does sending a private text to an adjudicator (without swear words) warrant a Year long ban from playing?
    Does the going off of 2 mobile phones during a rival band`s performance not need addressing?
    Does the naming of a famous conductor at the start of the Championship section by the above management not need addressing?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nick
    Alex
    Bad Boys of Brass
    year
    didn
  3. Al

Al Member

The thread is probably better in The Adjudicators' Comments section.

Here are the rules:

22. Disciplinary action may be taken by the Contest Management for any of the following offences:-
    a) Any breach of the Rules;
    b) Failure to comply with the instructions set out in the contest schedule;
    c) Any action that the Contest Management deems to be detrimental to the reputation of the Contest.

23. In the event of any player, official or band being found guilty of any of the above offences,
    the individual or band may be subject to one or more of the following penalties:-
    a) Disqualification from the Contest
    b) Forfeiture of the trophies and/or awards
    c) Suspension from competing in the Contest for a period of time specified by the Contest
    Management.

4. Mesmerist

Sorry Al if its in the wrong place.

5. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

And when your ready nick.... stunned audience, did he really just say that!?

6. fartycat

fartycat Member

Well we weren't very happy about it either and have let the committee know that in the strongest possible terms.

Did the other incidents happen this year?

7. Mesmerist

One is very current. The other was 2 years ago I believe? The mobile phones happened to us and nothing was said when we left the stage either.

8. Mesmerist

Oh and have you read rule 21? "Any objection concerning any alleged breach of the National Rules, or an error in the results, must be submitted to the Contest Controller within 14 days of the Contest, together with a fee of £50 which will be returned only if the objection is upheld. Objections must be in writing on the official headed paper of the bnad concerned and signed by an official."

So fartycat unless you handed over the dosh then looks like thats it my friend... What a joke.

Why £50?

9. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Presumably to prevent people appealing for silly little things and wasting everyone's time.

10. Kjata

Kjata Member

Yes, someone in the yorkshire top section shouted 'Phil' as Carlton Main came on!

11. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Well...... the only thing is that presumably there was more than one 'Phil' on the stage during the day. I suppose it could be argued that unless the surname was shouted as well as the first name then it could be let drop. If it was a really unusual name then I guess it could be a different matter :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nick
    Alex
    Bad Boys of Brass
    year
    didn
  13. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Plus there's always the possibility that the name was shouted when the person wasn't there. I know it wasn't in this case, but surely an adjudicator would disregard it as he wouldn't know for sure...

14. John_D

John_D Member

As I recall the conductors surname was shouted out as well. It's already been discussed in another thread on here.

15. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

what can the contest committee do about people saying the name of the band? Its hard to see how they could police that, but I suppose they could just ask between each band that people in the audience DO NOT shout aloud either the name of the band or the conductor, or indeed anyone in the band....

Wouldn't stop some people though...and how do you prove that a band had an advantage or were put at a disadvantage?

Every time I go to a contest I hear people in the audience discussing 'oh what band is this on then' with their neighbours...sometimes right next to the 'box'....some people are thick...hard to see how you can stop it though.

I think that disquals should be for blatant disregard of the rules...the rules are relatively clear, and every band has to conform to these rules...ultimately if the contest committee decide that a band is disqualified then I would trust their decision. No-one wants bands out of contests do they? Really? I would have thought a disqualification was a last resort (and even then you can appeal can't you?)....

16. Toni2

Toni2 Member

Sorry, you recall wrong. As you said it's already been discussed on here - I don't believe anyone mentioned a surname being shouted - because it wasn't. If it had been then I'm sure it would've been a different matter. There were 2 "Phil's" on stage with us that day alone, so as someone has already sensibly said the adjudicators appear to have used their professional judgement and ignored the fool!!!

17. Mesmerist

This was the Contest Controller who said "Nick" as Dr Childs took the no 1 spot out of a field of 10 Bands in the West of England Championship Section.
    Can an MD be banned from competing? Does his band get disqualified? For taking a photo? (without a flash and before the performance by the way).

18. Addarb

Addarb New Member

I think it is in danger of getting like the snooker with all the gutteral yellings and "come on" shouting.

I remember being at at one National when one of the cornet's had her granny in the audience and she started clapping at one of the false endings before the last movement. Not much you can do about that really.

19. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Is it bad that I am properly giggling at that? :oops:

20. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

My grandad, bless him, came to Malton Contest when I was with Emley the year we won in 2005.

He was 83 at the time and I sat with him to watch a few rival bands. His hearing is very bad - and just as the band on stage started playing a slow, quiet section turned to me and opened his mouth.

"SO THEN - ARE YOU ENJOYING YOUR NEW BAND?"

I muttered yes and thought of all the ways I could improvise a gagging device. Thankfully, he didn't speak again until we'd left the hall.

If you're the band he talked over - I'm sorry!

21. fartycat

fartycat Member

I think the best mobile phone interuption had to be at Prestatyn about 15 years ago. Was watching a band when the conductor's phone went off in the slow movement. Cue much wrestling in pocket whilst the conductor tried to both silence the phone and carry on beating. If memory recalls the phone went off again as well a minute later!

22. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I can see why you're cross about all this Messy, but technically noone actually broke any rules. The only one you may have some luck with is 22c - "Any action that the Contest Management deems to be detrimental to the reputation of the Contest", but its totally subjective. I don't think you can, or should, legislate against photo-taking (as long as it doesn't distract during an actual performance) or numpties forgetting to turn their phones off; but the Contest announcer should have known better! And as for the text, its hard to judge without actually knowing what was said.

Fwiw, at our area the well-known conductor of another band came over to say hello to a group sitting in the audience and named our band, all in a very clear voice about 5 feet away from the adjudicators box. Whether that identified him or his band to the adjudicator, or even just that it wasn't us about to play.... who knows? And does it matter anyway? I don't think so.