Rugby World Cup 2007

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tinytimp, Aug 10, 2007.

1. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

So the countdown to RWC has started.

At least it has for some of us anyway with Wales announcing their squad -

Wales' final 30-man World Cup squad:
    Backs:
    Gareth Cooper, James Hook, Dafydd James, Mark Jones, Stephen Jones, Kevin Morgan, Sonny Parker, Dwayne Peel, Mike Phillips, Jamie Robinson, Tom Shanklin, Ceri Sweeney, Gareth Thomas (capt), Shane Williams. Forwards: Huw Bennett, Colin Charvis, Ian Evans, Ian Gough, Chris Horsman, Will James, Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Duncan Jones, Alun-Wyn Jones, Michael Owen, Alix Popham, Matthew Rees, Jonathan Thomas, T Rhys Thomas, Martyn Williams.
    (Source: BBC Sport)

What are your thoughts? Predictions? Anybody going out to France or seeing a game in Cardiff - astronomical ticket prices notwithstanding.

I don't hold out much hope for Wales after a dismal performance last weekend. My winning vote has got to go to the All Blacks, they're seemingly unstoppable at the moment. Them v France in the final?

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it doesn't seem to matter how good anyone else gets, I don't see anyone getting close to stopping the All Blacks winning it. They're pretty awesome.

3. Bungle

Bungle Member

In the past the All blacks downfall was a good team of 15 but not a squad team i.e. they suffered when they got injuries and had to bring different players in. If they crack this, then they will go onto win, but I wouldn't put it past the French to come good towards the end of the competition.

4. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

The All Blacks have got to be the favourites, but remember its a knock-out competition. One bad game/poor ref decision etc could knock them out.
    Other than them South Africa look good, the rest of the big names are pretty even. England could get lucky again, we won in Aus without having to play New Zealand.

5. I think England are quite lucky, in that we have USA as our opening game. That said, I doubt we will make it to the semi-final stage this time round.

New Zealand, although they had an average Tri-Nations, losing to the Aussies, are definately the team to beat.
    On their day, France can beat anyone, but similarly, they can be beaten by almost anyone.
    Ireland rely too much on O'Driscoll - they looked lost last weekend without him and the "try" at the end of the game against Italy almost certainly wouldn't have been given in an away game.
    Australia are my dark horses - quiet build up and no shouting from the rooftops about how good they are.
    South Africa will push any team, but if England beat them in the group stages, they have a harder route to the semi's.

Andy - now working for Premier Travel Inn - hotel of the UK's Strongest Man Tournament 2007 (Belfast)

6. And that is why - average performance by NZ in the semi, lucky game for us in the final (thanks Jonny!)

I remember watching the final in a pub in Bradford (The Old Dolphin - major sponsors of Co-op band) and being blotto by extra time!!!!

Andy

7. Naval Nick

Naval Nick Member

England has just as much chance as any home nations team. I remember Four year ago, I was in a stinking bar in Trieste in Italy, Drunk wasn't the word, as that drop goal went over I think I kissed very Italian in the place, what a wonderful day. COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!

8. Nick, sorry to burst your bubble here, but we will be lucky to make the semi's this time (and no nation has ever defended a world cup).
    We have a negative team - we are still trying to play through the forwards, we have a captain who is consistent (in being injured), we have no midfield guile to unlock defences, any creativity we had is stifled through a "safety first" approach - 40 yards out and we get a penalty - kick for goal!!!!
    I appreciate that you need the points on the board, but sometimes you just wish for some adventurous play.

Don't label me as a cynic though - I played up to representative Under 21 level, so I think I know what I'm talking about (The brass banding world's gain was Halifax RUFC's loss!)

Andy - damn you broken shoulder!

10. 2nd man down

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Rugby World Cup
    Wales
    Mark Jones
    Dafydd James
    Duncan Jones
  12. Bungle

Bungle Member

That's typical both England football and rugby matches on at 5:00pm on Saturday, although I have to say England vs USA at rugby may be a bit one sided (hoping I haven't spoken too soon!) Oh well, I'm helping out on Eastborne bandstand until 5pm so I'll miss the begining anyway. What a dedicated bandsman I am.

13. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Sadly, for me, I think it will be bye-bye for England when the knockout stages start. I can't see us getting past Australia (in the same way that I can't see us getting past South Africa in the group stage).

Anyway, the safe money is on Webb-Ellis heading to the Southern Hemisphere for the next 4 years. My money is on the Springboks to beat the All Blacks in the final though.

14. Bungle

Bungle Member

Well it's off to an interesting start with Argentina beating the hosts. The look on the French players faces at the end was priceless.

15. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I think we can safely say you spoke too soon. England will have to pull them selves together before the South Africa game!

16. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Come On Wales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edit*

removed a few !!!'s so that the page width isn't altered.
    2md.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  17. 2nd man down

*whispers*
    Come on you jocks too!! :biggrin:

18. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Hmmm. Have to say that if England can't up their game, they will get beaten by South Africa (and more worringly Samoa).

Anyone else think Phil Vickery should play for England (at football!)

19. First round of matches out of the way now, and as usual, the Home Nations struggled.
    Anyone else think the New Zealanders could walk this tournament (they don't meet Australia till semi's, or South Africa to the final)?

Andy