Rugby League World Cup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by simonbassbone, Nov 11, 2008.

1. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Glossing over, for the moment, the idea of holding a World Cup when only 3 countries play the sport in any meaningful way, can anyone explain how they worked out the group stages:confused:

10 teams, 3 groups (4 in one, 3 in the other 2) all fine so far except 3 teams from the first group go into the semi-finals and 1 team from the other 2 groups:-?

Seems an odd way to do things to me.:confused:

Any thoughts/

2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well, they know only 3 countries play, so they wanted to get them to play eachother as much as possible. However, if they had only had those 3 teams, it would have been just a tri-nation tournament, and the Rugby League lot wanted to have a full blown World Cup, just like the proper rugby players. So essentially, it's a fudge.

3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Come and say that down at my local pub Lynchie Boy, then we'll see you live up to your user name ;)

4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

So in other words its the RL equivalent of footballs premiership, where 4 clubs only have the money to play properly and invite the other 16 along to make up the numbers.

The other parallel is that Rupert the Mercenary Murdochs company hypes both tournaments up to boost their viewing figures!

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'd be happy to... always fun to wind up the leaguers! Shows their insecurity ;)

You have to think the real reason they broke up the Great Britain team was to make up the numbers for this "tournament".

And it's not quite the same as the Premiership, because those other 16 teams have actually played the game to a reasonable level before they turn up. It's more like the ashes. (Go on, someone bite...)

6. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Yeh, they are just trying to expand the game, not convinced they do it in the right way and personally I'd be happy if they kept it up here away from all the poor soft southerners :wink:

I'm happy being a minority: Brass bander
    Motor homer
    Rugby Leaguer
    Mike Lyons fan
    Techno numpty
    :D

7. agentorange

agentorange Member

Quite right Mr B.

8. ronaldorx

ronaldorx New Member

There are so many different country take a part in this world cup, this world cup is play every 4 year, in 2008 the final will play between Australia and New Zealand, this is such a nice game, i like this game and world cup so much.