Rudest thing you've seen in a concert

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ploughboy, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Well, i'm just home from another stunning Emley performance. We were playing back-ground music for the Northern Federation of Ice Cream makers awards dinner.

And the best Mint Choc Chip . . . . .

Anyway . . .

CK was playing Hailstorm (not the easiest piece on paper) In the middle of the Andante, This bloke walks across the front of the band, and then between Chris and his music stand!!! Incredible, we all just carried on playing looking at each other in disbelief,

to his credit CK continued in fine style right to the last,

What rude things have your audiences done?

2. Di

Di Active Member

It has to be the sandwiches wrapped in tin foil, in the carrier bag brigade. Grrr. Its so annoying when they decide they just cannot wait until the end of a piece, let alone the end of a concert/contest/band to start rustling their way through the layers and start munching. :mad:
  3. Steveo

Steveo New Member

In my time with Kippax band we played in the band club every month. The old dears would love a chat whilst the band was playing but woe betide anyone if they dropped a pin during the bingo at half time.
    I then vowed never to fraternise with the working classes.
  4. 1alexm

1alexm Member

phones going off, thats all i can think of.
  5. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Especially when it's in the quiet bit of the piece 2 mins before the end of the piece!! CAN THEY NOT WAIT UNTIL THE END!!?? Nooo.. it's a life or death situation, "lets get out the tuna sarnies now dear.. I dont think i'll survive the last 2 mins of the piece if I don't!"

Argghh!! Or that bloke sat next to me at the Faireys concert, they were playing the Old Chalet, and this bloke instead of whipping a tissue quickly out of the packet decided to do it really slowly.. and continue talking to his wife about the fact he couldn't get the tissue out without making and noise. When he eventually did.. I think he cleared his nose well enough.. I think the whole of the Symphony Hall audience think he did as well!!

Lol it makes me giggle now though. It's predicted. Before you go to the Open or the Nationals, you KNOW theres going to be at least 4 people you see with their Symphony Hall or RAH picnic basket, waiting for the most peaceful of times to crack it open.

6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I couldnt quite believe my eyes when that prat did what he did. After the event i thought i should have stuck my leg out, but at least it didnt disrupt the performance.

All in all was another excellent Emley performance. But we didnt even get any ice cream samples!
  7. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

A chap did the same thing to Maynard ferguson at Ronnie Scotts a few years ago - he didn't get to see any more of the gig as he was immediately ejected!
  8. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

The rudest thing I've seen didn't come from the audience, but the principal cornet of a band I was depping for!

We were doing a proms in the park concert with a choir. When it was the choir's turn to perform, the band stayed on the (elevated) stage in full view of audience and half way through one piece Mr Principal Cornet got out his phone, held it in his right hand (nearest the audience), with his elbow resting on his knee, blatently texting away without any attempt to hide it!

Now i call that rude!
  9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

WOW, CK and Maynard in the same thread, i'd never thought i'd live to see the day . . . .
  10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Our usual annual concert down the green during the Mull of Kintyre Music Festival's Harbour Splash, and Campbeltown's most well known alchohic, "Angie-baby" comes to the front of the band and starts dancing away to the Great Escape, as if shes pole-dancing!! Not a pretty sight.....!!

Maybe not quite rude, but certainly gave the audience and us a laugh, it was the last thing we were expecting...!
  11. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Screaming kids, hearing aids when they start whistling away and mobiles going off!!
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well it happened when our band were doing a concert with a choir a back row cornet player who was with our band at the time decided whilst the choir were singing he would start playing about texting his mates and getting them to text back this was BANG out of order and was lucky to be alive after the band manager at the time spoke to him during the half time break

BAND MANAGER :hammer

That persons name soon became known asTMOBILE :biggrin: :clap:
  13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Ince Labour Club, near Wigan, New Year's Eve 197?

Between the bingo sessions the band played. Good time had by all until we played The Stripper. She was in her early 80's but danced on the table and gave a totally committed performance...

14. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

A couple of years ago I was playing with a band and we had just started the first piece and about halfway through this man walked onto the bandstand and literally snatched the baton and score away from the conductor, and was screaming at us to stop- unfortunatly for him the band ignored him and played on!!

It turns out that he was a barrel organist and thought that he should be playing in the bandstand we were in - he was booked to play in the town (we were in the park!!) Not sure it was necessary to shout and scream like that but did add a certain comedy value to the programme!
  15. el maestro

el maestro Member

People letting young children run around screaming is one of the rudest things I can think of...
  16. chizzum

chizzum Member

We were playing at Blackpool Entertainment contest this year and to start our programme the band started in the audience all getting up to join on the stage. It was all terribly organised and worked perfectly but a group of us were to set off down the middle isle playing. We set off (2 basses and a cornet) and got half way down, when a men started walking towards us. Totally ignorant and rude beyond doubt, just carried on walking past us and did not turn round. How rude, he just pushed past us!!!!
  17. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I know, cool or what...i hope Maynard realises what an honour it is for him ;)
  18. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Down right disrespectful!

The rudest thing I recall, was in a concert for Rememberence, when the poppies started to fall during the minutes silence. The conductor of the band uttered s**t because the poppies fell on him (no more than on anybody else may I add).
    This I view to be the rudest, most disrespectful moment during a banding performance.:mad:
  19. welshmike

welshmike Member

Never ever forget this one! Whilst at uni and playing top man for the Adelphi Band in a concert in the Swan in New Mills. I was asked by one of the student conductors (Noige) to play a solo and I chose the old chestnut Zelda!

Whilst performing this some little t**t in the front row (who couldn't have been more than 12 or so) started shaking his head and ushering me to play it faster! I have been known to drag things out a bit but this really took the p**s!

I started searching for him at the end of the concert and noticed that he was making a quick exit as I approached him! I only wnated to ask if he could play it faster! Cheeky eh?
  20. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I remember years back playing at Northampton Park one summer when a group of kids jumped onto the bandstand and started give the bass section what for. Not the best move as the bass section at that time was like the devil spawn of Chuck Norris teletubbies! Kids ran off and we carried out thumping through whatever summer rubbish we were playing (Cats, Oliver, Arnhem - it's all naff)