Rubbish Welder...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Aug 31, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Wasn't it in The Full Monty where the guys are watching Jennifer Beals welding in Flashdance, and say what a rubbish welder she is?

Got me thinking. Are there any films/books, etc. that irritate you because you know they're just not true-to-life musically. Try to stick to musical examples here, e.g. films about ancient Rome where Caesar is heralded chromatically on straight valveless trumpets.
    And greetings cards that have meaningless musical on them, you know - backwards quavers and minims beamed to crotchets, and a wavy stave that goes up and down.
    You get the idea...

2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Probably not exactly what you are looking for but the fact that the "royal albert scene" in brassed off isnt even filmed in the royal albert hall!
  3. timbloke

timbloke Member

Or the fact that on the cover of Brassed Off Stephen Tompkinson's Trombone is back to front. There was somewhere else where this was the ase as well. As far as I know he wasn't playing it left handed.

Or when Piano's are played getting lower whilst going up the piano. if that makes sense.
  4. sugarandspice

Not at all, lost me completely!
  5. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

The back to front thing I think is usually just the photo being reversed/ flipped/ The same thing has happened on the new Childs family CD - Bob Child's euphonium is the wrong way around.

Here in Cornwall I heard a story that a very well known conductor who was MD of one of the bands down here complained to the committee of the band when he saw that some 'musical motifs' i.e. staves and notes, made out of metal and which were to hang in the band club were wrong - the staves had six lines! If I recall rightly they are still hanging up in the band club. It was funny.

The thing that makes me laugh is that it is not just cards that have the musical errors - take a look at the items on the next trade stand you see. Cups, erasers, pencils etc all made by someone who thinks they know what music looks like.

6. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Can't think where you mean :rolleyes: .......
    but yes they are wrong, and still there! :p
  7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I was banned from watching Inspector Morse with my family because I kept shouting "You can't go down that street, it's one way" or "That pub's not in Oxford". Very sad...
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Danny Kaye starred as a trumpet player - I forget the name of the film - semiquaver runs were frequently played without moving valves, whereas longer notes seemed to require much twiddling...

I thought Jimmie Stewart's trombone 'playing' was OK in the Glen Miller story, but a trombonist reckons it was garbage...

And in 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' (or whatever it's called!) Bing Crosby coaches a small mediaeval band of about 10-12 players, crumhorn, recorder, etc., into sounding just like a 40's big band in 30 seconds flat. :clap:
  9. Veri

Veri Member

Is it not?!! But then I have seen the film a lot more times than I have been to the RAH...
  10. Veri

Veri Member

I did that all the way through Shadowlands - it was hilarious!

In Inspector Morse I was always amused when he entered through the gate of one college and appeared in the quad of another - it was a bit like something Star Trek/teleporting was going on!
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Brassed off again - Gloria Mullins fingers when she's "playing" Aranjuez!! :eek:

No, no, no, NO, NO!!!!!
  12. Veri

Veri Member

Yeah, and I've never been convinced that the euphonium player actually has a euphonium in the euphonium case that he carries - he swings it like its completely empty...
  13. timbloke

timbloke Member

I always shout at the TV at the end of Trumpton!!

It always amazes me how the brass band playing on the bandstand can sound like a load of guitars!
  14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Vaguely music related, CSI audio restoration....

"We'l just isolate this voice from XYZ, enhance it and compare it against the database of known villains and assorted naughty people with our downloaded freeware audio editor...." ;)

Same thing with picture enhancements....and the GCMS / LCMS....

I enjoy it though.
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The Five Pennies - great film, but poor miming!

What always gets me is the use of anachronistic instruments when a band or orchestra is featured. One recent one was the TV adaptation of "Lost World" a couple of years back. They featured a scene at the supposedly recently-opened Natural History Museum, where the military (!) band playing on the steps was portrayed by a brass band with modern instruments - I'm sure with the current interest in operiod performance they could soon have got a suitable group together, but they were probably too busy making sure the butons on the uniforms were right :mad: .
  16. sugarandspice

The RAH doesnt have the Pillars around the hall that are in the film and the stage is set up a bit different! Apparently it was filmed in one of the town halls up north?
  17. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Birmingham City Hall I think :confused:
  18. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Which definately isn't up North... anything below Stockport is blatently "down south!" hehe
  19. Veri

Veri Member

D'oh - how could I not have noticed that!! :oops:
  20. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Harold Bishop playing the tuba in Neighbours.... need I say more!!!