Royal Northern College of Music Festival of Brass 2006

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 17, 2005.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Friday 27th January to Sunday 29th January
    Building on the success of past RNCM Festivals of Brass – described by one reviewer as the most important festival of brass band music ever mounted in Great Britain’ - the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester has put in place an even more ambitious and far-reaching festival for January 2006. The RNCM Festival of Brass from Friday 27th to Sunday 29th January 2006.

There is a strong international dimension to this year’s RNCM Festival of Brass. The line up of soloists alone includes some of world’s greatest instrumentalists: trumpeter Håkan Hardenberger, Ian Bousfield (Principal trombone Vienna Philharmonic), euphonium players David Childs and David Thornton and tuba player James Gourlay, Head of Wind & Percussion atthe RNCM. Their unique talents are combined with the distinctive sounds of the world’s leading brass bands including RNCM brass band in residence, Black Dyke Band, Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal) Band, Fodens Richardson Band, Brighouse & Rastrick Band, YBS Band, Buy As You View Band, and the RNCM Brass Band and Brass Ensemble.

The musical threads of the weekend are designed to reflect not only this international perspective, but also to bring to the fore the varied ‘personalities’ of the featured bands, each programme specifically tailored around people and eras associated with each individual band. Mozart’s 250th birthday is celebrated in a variety of guises from arrangements through to new commissions. In addition to the concerts, there are talks and masterclasses, making this RNCM Brass Festival a feast of musical riches unrivalled in the brass band calendar.

Paul Hindmarsh, Artistic Director of the 2006 Festival said: "This year’s Festival very much has an international focus with guest appearances by Europe’s finest brass soloists headed up by Håkan Hardenberger and Ian Bousfield. This international flavour is also reflected in a new commission from Norwegian composer Aagaard-Nilsen with one of two new works to mark Mozart’s 250th birthday and with some of the world’s finest brass bands performing, I’m sure this is going to be a Festival to remember”.

For further information please contact Rachel Kirkwood, RNCM, tel 0161 907 5378 or email Rachel.kirkwood@rncm.ac.uk

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band music
    RNCM Festivals of Brass
    success
    festival
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Is there any iino what the theme will be this year (eg last year it was celebrating the milestone birthdays of Gregson and Howarth)?

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Does anybody know if there is a "Low Brass Day" again this year on the Friday?

6. James Yelland

Not as far as I can see. There are many other goodies though including a concert by the RNCM Brass Quintet at 6.30pm on the Friday. It's all reported in this month's Brass Herald or possibly BBW, can't remember which now.

7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

is this butlins weekend again?!

8. Di

Di Active Member

No Rach, Butlins is 20 - 23rd January. :icon_biggrin:

9. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hi Pat, i've spoken to Steve Mead and no plans for a Low Brass day this year, i'm afraid! The focus on Euph soloists during the festival will more than make up for it though for me!!! :icon_wink:

10. James Yelland

As well as the Quintet concert mentioned above, there will also be a recital by the junior quintet on the Saturday evening, masterclasses with Haken Hardenberger and Ian Bousefield, the RNCM band will be playing five or six works by composers new to the medium, and a discussion forum chaired by Philip Biggs titled "plotting the way forward".

11. James Yelland

Good to see that the festival is continuing the tradition of marking milestone anniversaries of significant composers again. In 2003 it was Eric Ball and brass-band-composer-by-default Hector Berlioz (both a year late actually, but it was the thought that counted); then last year Elgar Howarth, John McCabe and Edward Gregson. This year it's the turn of Michael Ball, Richard Rodney Bennett and some bloke called Mozart.

Given that the festival feels able to mark milestone anniversaries of people who, to the best of my knowledge, have never written an original note of music for band, it's a bit surprising that the 80th birthday year of someone who has contributed quite a lot to the medium appears to have been overlooked - Joseph Horovitz. I wonder why?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band music
    RNCM Festivals of Brass
    success
    festival
  13. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Should be a great weekend, hoping to make the Friday and Saturday. I gather Roger Webster is sitting in Grimethorpe's end chair on the Friday.

14. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Is it correct that when the music starts they all run round until it stops and then sit in the nearest vacant chair?