Royal Mile Suite - Eratta

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Band_Beefcake, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Band_Beefcake

Band_Beefcake Member

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a published eratta for the fourth section nationals piece - royal mile by alan fernie?

2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

One person who might know is Alan Fernie - he's a tMP member, cunningly disguised behind the username Alan Fernie. Maybe try sending him a PM?
  3. jp_euph

jp_euph New Member

An Errata for 'A Royal Mile Suite' would be welcome!
  4. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

There was an errata sent out last time the piece was used. Not sure if its still relevant to any new scores that may have been printed. James, if you get in touch I'm happy to go through it with you.
  5. wkt

wkt Member

Hi James,
    I requested and received one from Kirklees Music a few months back. They faxed it out to me very quickly. It would be next Wednesday night before I could get my hands on it, so a call to Kirklees would be much quicker.

Best regards,

6. Frontman

Frontman Member

James, if I remember the only item on the errata related to dynamics which to be honest where obviously missed off in printing. Do not recall anything else. Best of luck to all, it's a great piece for the 4th Section Finals.
  7. wkt

wkt Member

Off the top of my head, there are tempo changes in the last movement and there are a few wrong notes - I think something in the sop part and a unison note where the cornet parts are incorrectly divided. I think there is something else in the euphonium part - maybe a change to articulation at the start of the last movement, or a missing tie or something. It could be, of course, that fewer changes are required if you are using a more recent score.
  8. Deano

Deano Member

there is an errata available, I have a copy somewhere, I will dig it out over the weekend and post.
  9. Deano

Deano Member

there is an errata available, I have a copy somewhere, I will dig it out over the weekend and post.
  10. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I've been asked by the publishers of the Royal Mile Suite to say that, between myself, Kirklees Music, Kapitol and Alan Hope of the test-piece selection committee, a final errata list has been compiled, and it will be available to all the competing bands (and the adjudicators!) shortly.
  11. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

As well as forthcoming official errata list, I've picked up a couple more at band last night - I'll also inform Kirklees and the organisers.

All in movement 4 -
    Bar 9; the score indicates that timp. has a dim., but in the part I believe it is a cresc. - score is correct!!
    Bar 15 - Euph. last note is a B, not A
    Bar 54 - BBb bass should be forte, as everyone else is!

I'll keep looking!
  12. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Never ask a BBb to play forte, it's bad enough trying to persuade them that note every note they play needs to be peddled!!! ;)
  13. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I know that getting every detail of a score & parts accurate is a challenge (even in the days of Sibelius & Finale) but does anyone else think that it is rather embarrassing for both publisher and composer that a piece requires errata lists?
    Even more so when many bands are preparing this piece for a competition.

In situations like this (where there has been some sloppy publishing and errata lists are then available) - if a band were to play what was written (and published) rather than what had been issued as an errata, would the adjudicators be able to penalise them?
  14. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Irritating Errata

This piece has been used at Pontins and Butlins in recent years and STILL needs an errata!! Kapitol promotions inform me it is being published in the first week of September. How considerate?