Royal Marines

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by snazzy_cornet_sound, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Just wondering what people's opinions/experiences are about a career path in the Royal Marines as a musician?

2. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

If you want it from the Horses Mouth get in touch with David Johnson from Vernwood.

He's been in for years and from what i can judge from our drunken conversations at Butlins he loves every minute of it.

Im sure some peeps from Vernwood could get you in touch.

3. boagy

boagy Member

Personally speaking I would not recommend that path but that is only my opinion and one that stems from 12 years service in the far superior RAF Central Band, sorry to all my Marine friends out there. Joking apart, it is a good life and you play all over the world.

You must also understand that you are called upon to carry out non musical duties, including going into the various ‘war zones’ around the world as medical support, for example. If you don’t want to do that sort of thing then you should think very carefully before you sign on the dotted line. But you do have a laugh and make life long friends.

Graham

P.S. I understand that there is no height restriction now, so you should be O.K. Paul lol, you would actually be a few inches taller with your Pith Helmet on (He! He!)

4. BoBo

BoBo Member

I have not served myself but I do come from a Royal Navy family and have a number of friends who I have known during and after their RM service.

To be brief, the musical experience and training is first class, you get to travel around the world, you take part in some very prestigious events. You do have to sign your life and soul away for the time you are in, not everybody is happy about being regimented, ordered about and being a dogsbody. Some people thrive on it and some have an unpleasant shock when they come back to civvy street. The pensions are good though, you can join in your teens and come out around 40 with enough to support a basic lifestyle so if you can get a half decent job you are very comfortable.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

5. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

To repeat what Gaz Sykes said ask David. He is on the mouthpiece as Grandad so you can pm and get his phone number or from one of us from Verwood. He is currently an instructor at Portsmouth and does some of the auditions for the Royal Marine Bandservice and nearly all of the recruiting at Brass band venues. He knows who you are so you probably already know him from West of England Contests. Give him a call (and get fit if you are not already!):)

6. grandad

grandad Member

Gaz are you still drunk....?
    its VERwood :wink:

However if people would like to p.m. me about the best job ever please feel free!!

Cheers mate
    see you in Blackpool for some more beer!!:clap:

7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

The RMs are one of the best in the armed forces. Ive seen them on several occaisons and the RAF CB to. Both of these bands, i reckon are the best ones to join. Their ensemble, intonation, discipline, everything are second to none, compared to other bands Ive come across.

8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Always!!! Mate. and yes you will.

9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

A "Friend of a friend" , ex sop cornet with Wingates I believe , joined up about 3-4 years back ? If any of the Wingates crowd here can put you in touch she may well be able to offer words of wisdom.

10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I have to disagree with brassbandmaestro!

The Royal Marines aren't one of the best in the armed forces.

They are THE best military bands in the world.

(but don't tell Steve at Packers I said so.)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Royal Marines
    career path
    experiences
    opinions
    people
  12. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Well, Rapier, I do have to admit, that if i had to choose, would be the Royal Marine Bands!!

I seem to remember at Portsmouth, was it, when the RM band played and the look of pleasure coming from HM The Queen. was something Ive never seen before.(At the nelson trafalgar celebrations). Usually, say Trooping the Colour, for example, she looks so glum looking, but that night, well I was quite surprised.

13. paul.fielden

paul.fielden New Member

The best sight I have ever seen in HM Royal Yatch Britannia entering Portsmouth Harbour - me standing on top of the round tower - with the RM Band playing the regimental march A Life on the Ocean Wave - thought of it stilll brings a lump to my throat

14. Lyndon Price

Lyndon Price Member

I can heartily concur with many posters on this subject. Not only will you have an excellent playing experience with the opportunity to improve greatly your expertise, the musical education you will achieve is first rate. However I will say also to check out RAF musical careers. I served 15 yrs in an Army band , and we were very jealous of RAF conditions of service compared to ours. Which ever path, please remember you are a serving member of HM forces first and a musician second, with all the joys and perils that entails

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  15. paul.fielden

paul.fielden New Member

there are always good and bad points with any job