Royal Albert Hall Highlights vol.1

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Brian Bowen, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I was suspicious of the ISB's 1968 performance of The Present Age (Condon) on the recent CD/download from WoB. It's a long while since I heard the original LP of this concert but the ending on the Highlights version seem faster (considerably) than I remembered. In his review of the new CD, Dudley Bright has given the explanation. The performance on the original LP was taken from the evening concert: the new CD performance is the one recorded in the identical afternoon concert on the same day and not previously released. It must therefore be the premiere performance of this work. The notes printed with the new CD make no mention of this fact. My suspicions were also aroused because I thought my playing of the more extended flugel horn solo in this piece was better on the LP.:(

While the playing of the ISB is well represented, I'm not convinced the music has been best served by this switch.

I'm led to believe there may be a similar question concerning the performace of the Fantasia for Piano and Band, performed by the composer (Ray Steadman-Allen) with the ISB in 1965, also on RAH Highlights, vol. 1.

This maybe of interest to just a few (e.g., John Brooks?).