Royal Academy of Music Brass - A World Tour

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Dave Payn, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Anyone else come across this gem of a CD yet? You can buy it from the RAM website for a fiver and what a bargain! Hard to believe for the most part that this is a group of students playing. Seasoned pros by the sounds of things. One or two moments give the game away but not so much to distract from the overall picture. Programme includes R. Strauss Festmusik der Stadt Wien, Gunther Schuller's Symphony for Brass (which, apart from the curiously hurried ending, beats PJBE's version, just), Elgar's Severn Suite, Paul Dukas' Fanfare Pour Preceder La Peri, Sibelius' Petite Suite, Glazunow's In Modo Religioso and Malcolm Arnold's Flourish for a Birthday.

Not just a case of 'Sounds great for a bunch of students', it's an excellent CD all round. One of my all time best brass recordings. Anyone got this? Any other views?

Regards

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've seen it around, but if I remember it was a lot more than a fiver. Do you have the link to their web-site?

The current "crop" were excellent with Derek Watkins at Regent Hall on Friday.

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

RAMbo

Slight mistake. It's a fiver from the record label's website (Cantoris)

http://www.cantoris.co.uk/

Click on 'Royal Academy Series' and scroll down. You'll see it there.

4. PeterBale

Thanks - just ordered one :!:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Me too!

My brother studied at the RAM for a few years and loved it.

I once heard a concert where they shared the 2nd half with Black Dyke. Even some Pondashers were sitting up at the awesome performance of 'Carnival of the Animals'!

Thanks Dave

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Just received my copy of the above CD it's well worth a purchase.

If you are a staunch brass bander, this is an ideal 'crossover' CD for you to buy. It has some familiar works for 'bandos' to enjoy (Severn Suite, Fest Musik etc) with a great fanfare by Malcolm Arnold and some less familiar works (to many) by Dukas, Schuller, etc.

The playing is brilliant - Tom Watson (Jim's son I think), David Childs, Chris Deacon are on it.

Its a great recording so you should buy it at full price but for £4.99 it's foolish not to!

Thanks for the recommendation Dave

John
    Rothwell Temps

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thanks for the recommendation Dave

John
    Rothwell Temps[/quote]

Not at all, Jim. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's been very difficult to put down. Up until this CD, although all of the previous recorded versions of the complete Festmusik der Stadt Wien had qualities in abundance (PJBE, Locke Brass Consort, London Brass Virtuosi) I felt they were all missing that something special that makes the piece sparkle for the (approx.) 10-11 minutes the piece lasts. I feel the RAM Brass performance has finally achieved that. The ending, in particular is the sort of thing that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up (for me, anyway!). And (as you say) at a fiver, an absolute bargain.

Regards

8. PeterBale

9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Well on your recommendation Dave i ordered the CD, which arrived in the post this morning.
    For £5 it is incredible value and the playing is of a quality you would expect from highly accomplished musicians. These are some VERY talented young people with obvious futures ahead of them.

I particularly like Malcolm Arnold's Flourish for a Birthday.

Thanks Dave for the recommendation! :D :D

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Glad to be of service CJ (By the way, I'm not on a commission from the RAM or Cantoris :) I simply enjoyed it and thought I'd share my views! :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    CD
    Brass
    Symphony for Brass
    Royal Academy of Music
    Anyone