Rotary Valves (and a Kuhlo Horn)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hollso, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Hollso

Hollso Member

[​IMG]

That's what it's called apparently.
    After playing with an ompaa band while on tour with the band, my mum and I wanted a set of rotary valves. They just happen to be attached to a fancy flugal from germany. It's got a nice sound, but we just need to get the valves a bit quicker. We haven't a clue what we're doing with them, and after putting oil in various places, we're close to taking it to Octave Above for a service. The old thing needs it, but a polish has made it shine a bit more.
    Can anyone recommend anything rotary valve related to us? Cleaning, servicing, do we need to get fancier oils?

And a little fyi, the silver band around the bell has writing on it that has been scratched out with what appears to be a pointy tool (wanna-be CSI). I can just make out 1940, Ni. 23 (supposedly number 23) Polizei, and a W. Ku something. Suggesting it's a stolen police Khulo Horn from 1940.

Should be some fun! :D

2. 1alexm

1alexm Member

Neat Kuhlo Horn Holly. Saw you play with the oompaa band on the get togther night (it was on someones DVD), you guy's sounded good.

Are the valves too dry or something?

3. Hollso

Hollso Member

Far from dry, they seem thick and stodgy at the moment. I'll show you tonight. This is just like the boys instruments in austria, but a bit more rounded. They had a smaller one like this at Harrogate, called an Alpine Horn.
    We didn't know if we had this one at the time (ebay) so checked on the free computers there. We were gonna buy that little alpine horn ^^

4. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

CG Conn website has an article on looking after rotary valves (trombone players need help with anything more complicated than "in2 and "out").

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

6. JDH

JDH Member

It sounds like some slide oil may have got into the valves. Try washing the instrument through with warm (warm, not hot) water with some washing up liquid to dissolve the oil and wash out any muck.

Then empty out and leave to dry. The next day, put valve oil down the leadpipe and slides to put oil inside the valves. The outside rod joints and the valve spindle should then be oiled with thicker oil (either special linkage oil, or sowing machine oil). Unscrew the back caps and oil the spindle there as well.

Hopefully it will now work!

7. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I am posting on behalf of a friend! His teacher has told him to put WD40 on his valves to get them moving again. I presume this is exactly the same as normal valves and it's not a very good idea!!!!

have you get your valves sorted yet? And how did you do it please and thankyou :)

Vicki xx

8. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

WD40 is a penetrating oil that you can actually use to clean moving parts with - so i'm told, so it probably wouldn't hurt.

9. Di

Di Active Member

10. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Di, read post 12 on that link. As i said it is a penetrating oil you can use for cleaning purposes. I was not suggesting using it for any other purpose on an instrument!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Rotary Valves
    Khulo Horn
    Octave Above
    Kuhlo Horn
    germany
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- did you know that WD40 can be useful for all these things? ;)

13. Vickitorious

But you still wouldn't use it as a valve oil yeh? :confused:

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- nope!

15. Vickitorious

Thankyou! :biggrin: Thats cleared up an on-going argument! :biggrin:

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

but ... (and there is always a 'but' on forums) one guy claims
    http://www.jazztrumpetsolos.com/AspBB/view.asp?msgID=4502

17. Di

Di Active Member

Right, I'm with you. ;)

18. Vickitorious

Suuurely though he's going to go mad in the head at somepoint after inhaling all them WD40 fumes.. AND mixed up with valve oil?! :eek:

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- especially after buying a Monette! :oops: (... must have loads of money to burn).

20. Hollso

Hollso Member

Well we did put a bit of WD40 on the springy, non air-passing-through bits where the fingers go, but it didn't do much

So off it's gone to the shop! They rang today and said they can get them working beautifully (And not for a vast amount). Hopefully we'll have it back soon. I'll let you know how it is!

21. Hollso

Hollso Member

Got the flugal! Valves are gorgeous! Whipped out the arban and twiddled some notes. We're very pleased! (And it wasn't the price they had quoted. Less!)
    It smells like they put some WD40 on it too.
    Emptying water is a laugh. There's no spit valve, so we pull out all the sliders, then turn the thing around and upside-down. Mum turned it too quick, and almost clunked the dog on the head with a flying mouthpiece!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Rotary Valves
    Khulo Horn
    Octave Above
    Kuhlo Horn
    germany