Ross and Brand

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mr Guinness, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Hasn't this whole thing just got out of control?

I didn't hear the show, but I suspect the phonecalls in question would have been of a nature that I probably wouldn't have appreciated receiving myself too much. But, hasn't it been blown completely out of all proportion now? Gordon Brown being asked his opinion on the subject for goodness sake??

A sincere apology would surely have sufficed.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brand
    Ross
    Gordon Brown
    opinion
    question
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

And a sincere apology was given by both Ross and Brand, both of whom have said that the apologies were accepted by Sachs.

The problem is the 18,000 odd complaints the BBC have received on the matter. The BBC will have wanted to look like it was doing something to deal with the matter and the only thing they could really have done is canned the show.

Brand resigning will be him saving face and the BBC showing they have done something about the situation.

I think it is a little over blown because of who it was done to. Had it been done to Gordon Brown they probably wouldn't have cared. When Jon Culshaw was on Chris Moyles' show, they would ring allsorts of people posing as celebrities.
    e.g. Ikea as Tony Blair asking for instructions on putting the Cabinet together.
    Taxi Company as Shaggy. Hilton as Obi Wan Kenobi and asking for more lighting cos the room was a little on the dark side.

Hell, Howard Stern in America rang an asian run chicken company asking for an order for a Mitur Benisderty (Read it out loud). Then rang again asking if a Mike Turbenisderty was there.

And there is the age old favourite. Ringing somewhere asking for Michael Hunt.

I'm not a fan of Brand, I think he's manufactured and too up his own jacksy but I do agree. A public apology should have been enough.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

To my mind there have been a lot of double standards in evidence over this issue. If what was said was so terrible and offensive, then why did the newspapers and other media feel the need to print such full transcripts, using the bleeper in such a way as to make it absolutely clear exactly what had been said, and dragging it out for day after day?

As I see it, since it was a pre-recorded programme, the programme's producer (and hence the BBC itself) should also bear some of the responsibility, particularly as it now appears some sections were cut out which were felt to be inappropriate.

Personally, I find Jonathan Ross frustrating at times: he does appear to be quite talented and can be very amusing, but he does tend to over-step the mark in a very immature fashion. I'd like to see this acting as an alarm call and causing him to grow up a little, but I don't somehow think it will. :(

5. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

anything that gets that idiot Brand off the TV gets my vote

6. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Quite frankly...Who gives a shiny one? It's absolute nonsense!:(

7. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Three times this morning on BBC Breakfast the headline ''BBC looks to end saga of Ross and Brand'' has been read out....err why is it your top story still then......

8. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I have heard the offending phone calls and to be bluntly honest with you, it was bl**dy funny!!!

The fact of the matter is that

1) Phone calls were not live, the BBC producer made the decision to air the calls.....

2) Brand and Ross both personally apologised to Andrew Sachs, who said himself, that as a comedian he understands that jokes can sometimes go a bit to far, said he found it vaguely funny himself and excepted both Brand and Ross' apology.

Monday morning there were 4000 complaints, tuesday there were 10000 and thursday there were 30000!!! This incident happened over a week ago, why were people still complaining, they would have had to gone to some sort of effort to hear it, (youtube, or some other such site) it strikes me that they were just complaining for the sake of it.

There has been a lot of talk about the licensing fee going towards funding this...... It also goes towards funding the other 99% of TV and Radio shows that a very wide spectrum of people love and hate. I personally can't stand Terry Wogan in the morning, he sends me back to sleep, but I won't be writing to the BBc and complaining about this fact. If the BBC were diligent enough to not broadcast anything that offended or annoyed anyone, there would be ****** all on the TV or Radio!!!

Some people are just out to cause trouble.

Rant over!!

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

They were live enough to Andrew Sachs. Have to agree about the producers decision though and they seem to have escaped unharmed.

10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Apparently at the time of airing, the item provoked only 2 complaints. It wasn't until the good 'ole Daily Express ran a story on it (presumably between the ubiquitous 3 page undercover report on asylum seekers and the pull out Diana supplement) that all the complaints were generated. How you can complain about being offended by something that you didn't actually hear is beyond me?!

Massively blown out of proportion by self righteous middle aged middle England if you ask me.

11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

The thing I'm amazed at as they keep calling Ross and Brand ''comedians''. Since when?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brand
    Ross
    Gordon Brown
    opinion
    question
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Well said Colin, I tend to agree there that it certainly has been blown up out of all proportions with the majority of complaints coming in only after the transcripts were presented to the media and not from people who actually listened to the show. It's my guess that these complaints are from those who don't particularly like Brand or Ross - of which there are many more than they both realise. But do they care... do they heck... they are paid highly for what they do, and - at their cost - have probably ignored the many millions of people who loathe them both.

Yes, blown up out of all proportion, but, serves them right. They both should have known better.

14. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Can't stand the sight or sound of Ross, never heard of Brand before this. I like my humour to be funny or satirical, this was neither, just downright rude, crude and disrespectful. If that makes me middle-England, then I'm proud to be so-called. At least the controller had the decency to fall on her sword. It's a pity Ross didn't do the same, but it's a concept that would have to be explained to him, isn't it.

Anyway, he makes more in a day than I do in a month!!!

15. geordiecolin

Interesting take on this by Adrian Edmondson in the Independent
    However, I must warn all those that are easily offended that there is one use of the f-word in this article and one use of the w-word also. Please don't bombard tMM with 30,000 complaints if you subsequently choose to read it following this warning.

16. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

It also doesn't help that other comercial radio stations are busy BBC bashing also - I heard the wednesday night (4/5? days after the "incident") late show with George Galloway, on Talk Sport, they gave out the number for anyone who couldn't find it to go and complain!! It's just another case of the anti-BBC gang sticking the knife in. Yes it was a little OTT, but not deserving of the press it's getting.

I'm not a Band fan, but I hope Ross doesn't lose his Radio show on a Sat morning, he's brilliant, far better than his TV stuff!

17. geordiecolin

You're in the wrong job then!!

18. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Much has been made of the situation that, apparently, Radio 1 listeners cannot understand what all the fuss is about and that BBC Radio has to cater for a very wide age range. In the main, it is the younger listeners who are are backing these two "entertainers".

What hasn't been mentioned in anything I have seen or read is that there is no fee payable for listening to a radio. BBC Radio is funded from each household TV licence fee.

I would suggest that the vast majority of the Brand/Ross supporters make no financial contribution whatsoever to the cost of BBC Radio, as the TV licence fee is paid by their parents - who are likely to be the ones who have complained.

I, for one, disagree with even one penny of the licence fee I pay going towards the production of such dross.

19. geordiecolin

I think it would be wrong to suggest that only non-licence fee payers would "back" Brand/Ross.

Radio 1 targets mainly the 16 - 24 audience, I would suggest that the appeal of the Brand/Ross style of humour extends well beyond 24 year olds, most of whom will be licence fee payers.

There's lots of stuff right across the BBC that I would describe as dross but I don't object to my licence fee going towards it. The BBC has to address a wide range of tastes and it is inevitable that they won't always please everyone. Complaining that 0.000000001p of your licence fee was spent on last weeks Russell Brand Show is a bit excessive really in my opinion. Hey, they probably spent a similar fortune of my licence fee on the mind-numbingly dull Ken Bruce Show, but I'm not bothered.

For what its worth, I'm not actually a massive fan of Russell Brand or Jonathan Ross for that matter. I just get sick of this sensationalism where if something doesn't please a certain realtively narrow minded cross section of society then all hell breaks loose.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  20. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

My thoughts exactly. Out of all the people who complained, how many actually heard the show live, and also what percentage if the number of complainers against the number of listeners? Say the show had 3 million listeners, in comparision it's not that many complaints!

I thought it was funny and the right steps have been taken. You either love um or hate them and if you don't like their comedy then don't listen.

I think Andrew Sachs is completley right with his response and now that should be the end of the matter. What a load of rubbish that it has been blown up so much!!!

21. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I'll think you find that I listen to Radio 1 and 2 (in my crossover period) and I pay my fee!! I would happily countinue to let my licence fee contribute towards the funny antics of Ross and Brand!! I know my many friends who are the same age of me would continue as well.

22. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I can't beleive some of you people thinking its a fuss over nothing. I'm no prude but having read the transcript I was offended that anybody could be so heartless and unthinking to another human being.

Read the transcript and then put yourself in Andrew Sachs shoes.

Would you think the same way if you were the subject of their jibes, if they were announcing to the world that they'd slept with your mother, daughter, grandaughter and making childish songs up and calling them a slut to an audience of hundreds of thousands and after the kerfuffle the whole country?