Rose-Morris Pennine Tenor Horn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ChrisWeir, May 20, 2007.

1. ChrisWeir

ChrisWeir New Member

I have just bought a Tenor Horn, marked Rose-Morris Pennine. Blows well, a good step forward from my beginner instrument & at a bargain price.
    It is natural finish brass with some nickel finish on the tuning slides. I would guess it dates from the 1970s. Does anyone have anyinformation about it's history, I haven't been able to find anything.

2. steve_r

steve_r Member

I got interested in this and started to google, but you are right there is no info about.

I did find that has a Rose, Morris mouthpiece which they think is from the 3rd quarter of the 20th century but not much else.

Rose Morris were/are mainly associated wth guitars etc.

One tantalising snippet I found was that Rose Morris bought out a company called John Grey who mainly made banjos and drums and sold them under them brand name autocrat. I actually have an autocrat mouthpiece from about 1968 (ish). I believe JG also made brass instruments if they made mouthpieces so your horn could come from this lineage?

This link explains how the JG brand turned into the RM brand for banjos in 1967.

Not much and may be completely wrong but it may give you a start and it was a fun google.

BTW there still is a company called Rose-morris - they may be able to help you?

If you find any more - let us know!

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I found this link that is supposedly linked to features about Rose-Morris musical instruments but it doesn't go anywhere ... (google morris musical instruments)
  4. ChrisWeir

ChrisWeir New Member

Thanks to both of you. I had tried Googling & come up blank. I will follow up the leads & see what turns up. I will post any information I come up with.