Rose-Morris Pennine Tenor Horn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ChrisWeir, May 20, 2007.

1. ChrisWeir

ChrisWeir New Member

I have just bought a Tenor Horn, marked Rose-Morris Pennine. Blows well, a good step forward from my beginner instrument & at a bargain price.
    It is natural finish brass with some nickel finish on the tuning slides. I would guess it dates from the 1970s. Does anyone have anyinformation about it's history, I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. steve_r

steve_r Member

I got interested in this and started to google, but you are right there is no info about.

I did find that http://www.music.ed.ac.uk/euchmi/ubl/ublh5.html has a Rose, Morris mouthpiece which they think is from the 3rd quarter of the 20th century but not much else.

Rose Morris were/are mainly associated wth guitars etc.

One tantalising snippet I found was that Rose Morris bought out a company called John Grey who mainly made banjos and drums and sold them under them brand name autocrat. I actually have an autocrat mouthpiece from about 1968 (ish). I believe JG also made brass instruments if they made mouthpieces so your horn could come from this lineage?

This link http://www.music.ed.ac.uk/euchmi/ubl/ublh5.html explains how the JG brand turned into the RM brand for banjos in 1967.

Not much and may be completely wrong but it may give you a start and it was a fun google.

BTW there still is a company called Rose-morris - they may be able to help you?

If you find any more - let us know!

Steve

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I found this link that is supposedly linked to features about Rose-Morris musical instruments but it doesn't go anywhere ... (google morris musical instruments)

www.proaudiostore.co.uk/about.php

4. ChrisWeir

ChrisWeir New Member

Thanks to both of you. I had tried Googling & come up blank. I will follow up the leads & see what turns up. I will post any information I come up with.

Chris