Ronaldinho & Manchester City

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Masterblaster jnr, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

What?!

What would a world class player, one of the best in the world, be doing going to Manchester City, sureley if his destiny sees Manchester, surely United is the Place to go. Although city are managing to get the goods in more than united it seems.

Signed
    Proud Red Devil

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Manchester
    Ronaldinho
    Manchester City
    United
    sureley
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Why does any footballer go anywhere?

Only three reasons:

1) to stand a better chance of getting into the interntional squad (not an issue for Ron)

2) To win big-name trophies (City are on the up, but some way off a european final or league championship yet)

3) For a massive payday. (Now this is more likely.)

There are plenty of clubs to go in england other than Manchester United who are capable of challenging for top honours, and city's recent form suggests that they could be a competitive team in the future.

But like anything else in football, money talks. Most players these days are mercenaries, and would sign for any club, so long as they got a shedload of money for it.

There are, of course, exceptions. Gerrard turning down Chelsea to stay at Liverpool, Shearer turning down Manchester United to go to newcastle etc.

But I doubt Ronaldinho feels any genuine emotional attraction towards city. If he does go there, it'll be for the money.

The other option is that he's only associated himself with city because if word gets around he wants to come to the UK, then he possibly hopes one of the bigger clubs will hijack the deal.

Cynic? Me? Naaah.... ;)

4. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

Just remind me again.....Aug 19th 2007 Man City 1 : Utd 0
    Feb 10th 2008 Utd 1 : Man City 2

Anyway a 'Proud Red Devil' from Yorkshire is probably better than one from 'down south' but only marginally.......do you substitute the prawn sandwiches for tripe?

5. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I think it'd be the other way round. With Lancastrians and Yorkshirefolk supporting each others teams would lead to a bit of handbags.

BTW, i really (;) ) can't remember those results.

6. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

If his destiny sees Manchester then it has to be City. United are in Trafford. :D

7. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Aye, United are not from Manchester...

8. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

It would be great to see him in the Premier League and I'd be curious to see how he would get on. Good luck to City in getting him.

9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Yep - it's a shame we can't win in England or Europe or qualify for anything else on the quality of our pies ;)

10. Thirteen Ball

Which are, I will admit, very nice pies....

Last time I saw Ronaldinho, it looked like pies could be a pretty big lure for him...

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe ManC have been privately supplying them to him during the last season or two! :rolleyes:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Manchester
    Ronaldinho
    Manchester City
    United
    sureley
  13. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Money.
    The only reason he would go to man city is because they are willing to pay him and barcelona loads of money.
    If AC could match the 25 million that is being touted as man city's offer and the 200 grand a week wages (reported in the sun cause thats a reliable paper) of man city then i think he would take champs league football with AC over coming to rainy england.

14. Thirteen Ball

I think you're right, Nuke. And I also think AC are right to say he ain't worth that kind of brass - Even though Milan COULD match the money if they wanted to.

If they sign him, City are taking a chance that he'll lay off the pies, get his act together and regain his former drive.

Milan are clearly concerned - with some justification - that he won't.

15. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Looks like City have relocated to Milan?

16. Thirteen Ball

Milan didn't pay anything like the 25 million quid city were offering though.

Much better idea to offer performance related markups to a reasonable price.

Is it possible city were more anxious for a name, rather than a player?

17. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

It was certainly interesting listening to Richard Dunne being interviewed on Sky Sports News last night. His comment "Now the manager has a bit more money to spend on players he wants to sign" said it all.

Ronaldinho was obviously an attempt by Frank Sinatra to a) find favour with the City fans and b) prove that City are a global force in football.

Watching Sparky try to manage him could have been a highlight of the season. Sparky seems to follow the SAF ethic that no player is bigger than the team, and in Ronaldinho's case, the player certainly seems to believe it's the other way round.

I think City and the blue side of Manchester have had a lucky escape here. There are better players out there, who will give more to the team.